The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

"Unable to lock document. Another application had the OmniFocus document locked." Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Erm...help?

This shows up whenever I try to launch OmniFocus (desktop version 1.1 sneakypeek v77.10.0.104292)

Really? Nobody knows anything about this?

Either you really do have another copy of OmniFocus running on the same computer and you should go quit it, or OmniFocus didn't clean up after itself last time it quit. (Maybe it crashed?) In that case, it should be safe to go delete ~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus/OmniFocus.ofocus.lock

Works perfectly after deleting that file. Thank you.

I had the same thing happen to me today...couldn't open it after restarting, couldn't open it after installing the updated sneaky peak (that's what I'm running).

Thanks for posting this! I removed the file and it opened right up for me as well. I sync with my iPhone, but don't have any other copy installed.

Info:
Build details:

Product: OmniFocus-1.1
Tag:
Date: 2008-08-26 16:12:01 -0700
Builder: omnibuild
Host: tb104i.private.omnigroup.com
Revision: 104362

Hey, I used the same solution - deleting the lock file. But I just thought I'd let your sneaky peak research team know that this does seem to be a problem.

Yes, this is a current problem. I was on the build right before 104954 when this happened to me (I updated to the latest build thinking that it would fix the problem). No other version of Omnifocus was running. The hanging lock file is created when one initiates a machine shutdown without first closing Omnifocus. This problem existed for a while a couple of months ago, to the point that I had to remember to quit Omnifocus before shutting down, but lately I haven't had to do this. Until today when I could not open my task lists until I found this post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saswanb View Post
Yes, this is a current problem. I was on the build right before 104954 when this happened to me (I updated to the latest build thinking that it would fix the problem). No other version of Omnifocus was running. The hanging lock file is created when one initiates a machine shutdown without first closing Omnifocus. This problem existed for a while a couple of months ago, to the point that I had to remember to quit Omnifocus before shutting down, but lately I haven't had to do this. Until today when I could not open my task lists until I found this post...
How exactly are you "initiating a machine shutdown"? If you aren't just powering off the computer, or having it force-quit OmniFocus, the shutdown procedure should tell every application to quit, just as if you'd done the File->Quit command in each one. If you just hold down the power button until the machine shuts off, OmniFocus won't be told to quit and won't remove the lock file.