The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speech recognition help in OmniWeb, system Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello Omni people,

I'm having trouble getting speech commands to work in my machine (17" PowerBook 1 GHz, OS x 10.4.6), both within the system and within OmniWeb. I haven't attached an external microphone, but the PowerBook has one built in, and it doesn't seem to be working either for the system or for OmniWeb regardless of how close I try to get to it.

I'm using OmniWeb 5.1.3, which appears here to be the latest version.

I've enabled the Speakable Items in Speech system prefs but nothing seems to be happening. No OmniWeb Speech recognizer tool has popped up, except for the system's round Speech microphone application. (I have the impression from the OmniWeb help info that there is a speech recognizer tool with OmniWeb, but nothing has popped up. I did enable that functionality in OmniWeb's prefs, though I can't seem to find where I did that now. I'd thought maybe there was a sound or microphone pref panel in OmniWeb's prefs, but I don't see it now. Anyway, I did enable that functionality.)

I looked in the Applications folder of my user's Speakable Items folder and don't see anything within the OmniWeb folder, nor in any of the other applications. Should there be something there?

I also looked in the Plugins prefs for OmniWeb. I don't see any Speakable Items tool. The only other thing of note in the plugins prefs is that it mentions that the Adobe Acrobat plugin is invalid--missing a resource. (I've no ideas about that; I've installed Acrobat Reader 7.0.7 and haven't had anything come on insisting on downloading and installing another installation.)

I'd appreciate any help you might be able to give, both for OmniWeb and for the system. I'm having a problem with my hands and need to be able to use them.

Best wishes,
Mary

I have no experience with this feature, but here is what I did to set it up:

The speech preference in OmniWeb is in the General preferences (Speech: Navigate web pages using speech recognition). When I select that, the system's Speech widget appears:

If you press Esc, you should be able to talk and have OmniWeb do its business (for a list of commands, click the little triangle at the base of the Speech widget and select "Open Speech Commands Window"):

You will also need to visit System Preferences>Speech to change the settings to better suit you. FWIW, I can't get it to work as it doesn't like my accent.

>If you press Esc, you should be able to talk and have OmniWeb do its business (for a list of commands, click the little triangle at the base of the Speech widget and select "Open Speech Commands Window"):

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks very much for your help.

I don't think this computer likes me, though. It almost started working; two items worked, and then they stopped working.

Esc on the button didn't work at all, but the actual escape key worked twice. Continuous listening, with or without a listening method calling for an initiator (like "computer...") doesn't work at all. I think ideally I'd probably like continuous listening.

>FWIW, I can't get it to work as it doesn't like my accent.

My accent is fine. And I know it works for other people. If I can't think of anything else, there's always a reformat/reinstall, I guess.

Anyway, I appreciate your thinking for me, Jonathan. Thanks very much.

Best wishes,
Mary

Speakable Items seems flaky. I wonder if anyone else has notice OW causing problems with Speakable Items. Sometimes Speakable Items crashes while I am doing something in OW. I wonder if Speakable Items is just unstable, or somehow OW doesn't get along so well with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Grimsley
I'm using OmniWeb 5.1.3, which appears here to be the latest version.
The latest version of OmniWeb is actually 5.5.4. I don't know of any bug fixes in it that will directly address the difficulties you describe with the Speakable feature, but it might help.