The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Siri/Reminders Capture Issue? [A: Fix available. Update to 1.13.3] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hey all, sorry for the trouble!

It looks like a change was made to the way tasks are stored in iCloud. We've since been able to track down exactly what we need to change to skip over data loss, but, of course, will need to wait for Apple's approval once we're ready to submit.

In the meantime, it really would be best to completely disable Siri at the OmniFocus level; OmniFocus Settings→iCloud Reminders→Off.

We're really sorry for any tasks that might've been lost in the past day*— stay tuned for more updates.

Omnifocus is not bringing across the reminder, it is simply adding "untitled item" to my Omnifocus inbox and deleting the reminder! I now have 8 untitled items in the inbox. This seems to happen with either the reminders on the Reminders List or I also created an OmniFocus list. Any ideas why no data is coming across?

Sorry for the inconvenience this is causing! At some point in the last 24 hours, iCloud's behavior changed in a way which caused our our Siri/Reminders integration to break.

We're communicating with the appropriate folks at Apple and our engineering team has found a workaround, but we need to submit a new build to Apple and get it approved before the feature will work correctly.

Again, apologies - the change in behavior was unexpected, but we think we can write the code in such a way that problems will be less likely if something like this happens again in the future.

For the time being, we'd recommend disabling the feature until we can get a new build into the iTunes App Store. You can do so by opening OmniFocus for iPhone's Settings screen, then setting "iCloud Reminders" to "Off".

Greatly appreciate everything you're doing to expedite. This is my primary tool for work and it goes without saying that the feature is invaluable. To that point, I've lost over 10 reminders...I can only remember 5 of them. Looking forward to getting the fix ASAP.

Perhaps there is a way to recover this data and get it to OmniFocus? Any help would be appreciated.

Cratner, there's a small chance of recovering this data if you have a Mac that also syncs with your iCloud calendar and a backup system like Time Machine.

If that's true, you could find the folder iCal stores its files in and use your backups to look for any files that might have been deleted in the right time frame. Even this is a slim chance because it would require the Mac to sync with iCloud and make a backup before OmniFocus tried to capture the reminder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
Cratner, there's a small chance of recovering this data if you have a Mac that also syncs with your iCloud calendar and a backup system like Time Machine.
I appreciate the help, but I'm locked to Windows. So nothing but air between me and the cloud. I'll survive, but I'm looking for OmniFocus to be more robust next time around. Can't lose critical data like this. Love the product -- looking forward to more from Omni!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cratner View Post
Can't lose critical data like this.
I understand and agree. To be an effective GTD tool, OmniFocus needs to be your trusted system. I am sorry that OmniFocus ate a lot of people's data the last couple days.

Today, besides fixing this particular issue, we changed some code so that (as far as we can tell) if the iCloud service changes again, we will fail in a safer way -- either the action will end up both places, or it might get left in Reminders, but it won't delete actions without capturing them.

Sorry for being a goat. http://shelsilverstein.yolasite.com/blame.php

Thanks for doing your best, like you always do. I suspect Apple may be the goat here! :-)

I came onto the forum to see if there was any mention of this problem before posting myself... I feel relieved to see its not just me... And that someone is dealing with it whilst I sip my coffee... Thanks, OmniFolk..!

Ive been using it without issue for several weeks but all of a sudden yesterday, when a task gets moved up to the cloud and then into OF it just comes up as "untitled item". It doesn't matter what I call the task or how many times I try, it just keeps coming up as "untitled item"

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

There's a thread on this in the iPhone section of the forum - you are not alone, and it's being fixed, meantime, probably best to disable this function until advised.