The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How to create a "Capture to inbox" icon Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I LOVE OmniFocus for my iPhone, iPad, and Mac! One of the 5 phases of getting things done is "Capture" it is imperative that you have the ability to quickly capture things directly to inbox with minimal fuss. In the past I've used a Levenger pocket briefcase and note cards because it was quicker to pull out a note card and jot down a note than to open an app on my phone and click new item.

Ideally there would be a "Capture" icon on my iPhone homescreen that would take me instantly to the "Quick Entry in Inbox" action. Turns out this is totally doable!

If you type omnifocus:///add into mobile safari it takes you right to that screen. The hard part was figuring out how to make an icon on the desktop that links to that url.

Just click the link below and then, click "share" icon(the box with the arrow) and select "Add to Homescreen"

Special Thanks to lightstorm for providing and hosting the icon.

Thanks to DrJJWMac for telling me about the problems on ipod touch which pushed me to find this solution, and thanks to psidnell for helping with testing.

Thanks to the guys at http://ishortcuts.org I was able to figure it out how to make the link work.

When you click your "Quick Entry" icon it will take you to the Inbox Quick Entry!

Let me know if this is helpful in the comments!

To The Omni Group: Thankyou so much for your awesome software! If I've overstepped my bounds in using your art in the icon please let me know and I'll remove it right away. You guys Rock!

My site moved to a host that doesn't allow php, so I'm looking for someone to host the images and php files. I found a temp solution, but looking for something more permanent.

Please pm me if you have a place to host this.

Last edited by pastorhudson; 2012-08-08 at 07:09 AM..

Hey, that's cool, thanks for sharing it! Appears to be quicker than launching OF and tapping the quick entry button, too.

Great tip! I always wished for something like that. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by julienl View Post
Great tip! I always wished for something like that. Thanks!
I know me too! I was ecstatic when I stumbled across this while "adding the safari bookmarklet"

I'd love to see Omni Group add a "Add capture icon to homescreen" so we wouldn't have to do this tweak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorhudson View Post
I know me too! I was ecstatic when I stumbled across this while "adding the safari bookmarklet"

I'd love to see Omni Group add a "Add capture icon to homescreen" so we wouldn't have to do this tweak.
pastorhudson,
Phenomenal idea! I am currently using Siri to add items to my Inbox, but this works great if I can't speak into my phone. I replaced your icon with this one (it's the old Omnifocus for iPhone icon that I really like) and named it "Quick Entry" on the home screen. It's currently in the temp area of my site if you want to use it (I won't be moving it but you can always download and move to your site)

http://lightstormstudios.com/temp/omnifocus.png

Great job!

Lightstorm, Thanks! Great icon! I've added it as an option in the tutorial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorhudson View Post
Lightstorm, Thanks! Great icon! I've added it as an option in the tutorial.
Sure! Again, great idea...I use your method daily now. :)

The downside is, this requires an internet connection to work. We folks with iPods and outside of WiFi areas cannot use it.

--
JJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJJWMac View Post
The downside is, this requires an internet connection to work. We folks with iPods and outside of WiFi areas cannot use it.

--
JJW
Unfortunately, you are correct; I've tried a couple methods with my internet connection off, but I can't get the URL call to 'stick' so that I can bookmark it, then use the "Add to HomeScreen" feature.

Sorry about that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightstorm View Post
Unfortunately, you are correct; I've tried a couple methods with my internet connection off, but I can't get the URL call to 'stick' so that I can bookmark it, then use the "Add to HomeScreen" feature.

Sorry about that...
Yep I didn't think about needing an Internet connection. It doesn't work in airplane mode. That stinks. I'll add a note to the tutorial. Thanks for letting me know. Maybe this is why omni hasn't made it a standard feature.