The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

V6 guides Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi.

Wondering about the change in behavior of the V6 guides. In 5x as I manually move an object around the canvas, when I cross the center (horiz, vert, or both) a guide shows up. I rely on this for manual positioning as I create a diagram. I'm not seeing this behavior in v6. Is this a decision or is it missing or am I just not using it right?

-Ed

Another thing I noticed is that text doesn't show alignment guides to other objects (as it does in 5x).

Quote:
Originally Posted by elrjax View Post
Another thing I noticed is that text doesn't show alignment guides to other objects (as it does in 5x).
You can turn smart guides on in Arrange->Guides->Smart Alignment/Distance Guides. We have a request open to keep them on by default in some Templates!

Hi.

I have the guides turned on. And they do work for objects in relation to each other.

They don't seem to work when an object or text item passes a center axis of the page (horiz or vertically) as they used to in v5.

And none of the guides seems to work with text boxes.

I also relied heavily in v5 on the guides that popped up for the centre of the canvas, both horizontally and vertically, much like they do in Keynote. This behaviour was not restored when I switched on the smart alignment and distance guides.

Is this a setting somewhere that I am missing, or has this feature been removed in v6?

Followup: from experimentation, I have determined that the canvas guides only appear when Arrange->Grid->Snap to Grid is unticked.

Not sure whether this was also the case in v5, but I did like the v5 default behaviour better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ids View Post
Followup: from experimentation, I have determined that the canvas guides only appear when Arrange->Grid->Snap to Grid is unticked.

Not sure whether this was also the case in v5, but I did like the v5 default behaviour better.
In v5 it's exactly the same.

Thanks. That was the magic :-).

-Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ids View Post
You can make this a default behavior by making your own templates.

I have followed the instructions in the thread, but I still don't see the automatic center guides when I get near the center of the canvas - any further hints on what I might need to set/change?