The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

view zoom? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
hello everyone on the forum i am just trying out omnioutliner for the first time and it seems a wonderful program. well done omniteam! i love being able to integrate quick illustrator sketches and diagrams as pdf that i can then re-edit and update.

i have been looking for a view zoom function but couldn't find one, neither in the manual it mentions any zoom funcionality. can anyone help or is there just no zoom in omnioutliner?
if there isn't, i think there should be one in order to unlink the way omnioutliner prints (the text size in points) from how it is visualized on the screen, enabling zooming into parts you want hierarchically and print-wise small).

regards,
kristian

There is no zoom feature but IIRC there will be one in OmniOutliner 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
There is no zoom feature but IIRC there will be one in OmniOutliner 4.0
thanks JKT. at least i won't be going on looking for it.
good news there will be a zoom feature in the next version. i do think it will be a good addition to this wonderful program.
regards,
kristian

Is it possible to provide a zoom feature for the current OO release as an update? It would be a huge help and is the only reason I've stopped using OO. Using the system zoom doesn't cut it for me b/c I switch back and forth btw word and OO and need that screen real estate. Frankly, I don't think we should have to pay for OO 4 for this feature if we've already bought the previous release.

How far away is 4.0 / zoom?

I keep trying to use OO and giving up because its just a bit too much eyestrain to use it right now with the small font size. I'm not sure how much sense it makes to wait too much longer for this one feature...

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnmist View Post
I keep trying to use OO and giving up because its just a bit too much eyestrain to use it right now with the small font size.
Why not just set a large type size as the default?

Because then I have to remember to switch it back for every single document, every single time I want to print. Since I use this as a note-taker for school, I take notes in class (resize to big font), come back home, print it out (remember to resize smaller before printing)... then maybe around exam time, I'll want to rearrange my notes, so resize back to big font, then back to small for printing purposes.

Also, I have a high resolution external monitor in my room, so the font size needed for easy readability is different (bigger) than the one that would be useful on my MBP... so again, I'll end up having to resize a couple times back and forth depending on which monitor I'm using and whether or not I'm printing.

It just seems really incredibly silly and un-Maclike to not have this basic functionality.

Unfortunately we can't give an ETA on OmniOutliner 4 yet. It is coming though. You can try using the print scaling so you don't have to change the font size to print. To turn this on, go to File -> Page Setup -> Settings: OmniOutliner -> General tab and check 'scale to fit page width'. This will cause your file to print scaled to one page width so if you have your font size large and window width wide, it will scale down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekM View Post
This will cause your file to print scaled to one page width so if you have your font size large and window width wide, it will scale down.
Hmm.. but that means every file no matter how long gets scaled down? My notes are usually 3-5 pages of typed stuff (if printed at a reasonable 12pt size for example)... Wouldn't that end up being useless if scaled and fitted to one page?

Yes, the print option of "scaled to one page" is pretty useless (to me at least) for several reasons, one being that you have no control over print font size.

I'm sooo used to setting the font for printing purposes, then using the zoom function for computer monitor purposes. As many have noted, this is one huge non-intuitive feature of OO. It's the first thing I noticed also when starting to use OO. I use OO a lot, and this is the worst thing about it right now.

Although I'm sure I'll upgrade to OO 4, I can certainly understand others not wanting to upgrade just for a zoom feature. It probably should be included in some final 3.x version release as well as 4.