The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Background thread for update checking Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi there,

I've noticed that the "check for updates" menu option (and the automated update checking, if enabled) both block all execution of OmniWeb. This is mildly annoying when it takes 2-3 seconds on a fast broadband connection, but if you're connected over crappy dialup, 3G modem, etc, it can take a seriously long time. When I've had routing issues getting to the update server, it's taken up to a minute or so to time out, and during that time I've been completely unable to use the app.

It's got to the point where I don't generally enable automatic updates, which is a pity as they're a great feature.

The obvious solution to this is to spawn the update check off on another thread, and use a callback to monitor success/failure. I can see this being almost trivial to implement, and I suspect it will make the app feel more responsive at startup.

Many thanks,

Simon