The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notes in OmniFocus Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
In OmniFocus, I often use the "notes" feature to add notes to different actions.

Yet, the little tiny unobtrusive "notes icon" in the right hand column isn't enough of an indication to remind me that notes exist for a particular action. So, my solution is to leave notes expanded (instead of collapsed) for all of my actions. That way, I can always see my notes so I know that they are there.

However, OmniFocus does something weird after syncing with other Macs and iPhones... it frequently COLLAPSES the notes on its own, causing me to have to re-expand my notes all over again. I think what happens is that if you add an action on one Mac with the note EXPANDED, and then you sync OmniFocus, that action shows up on the other Mac with the note COLLAPSED. But then sometimes the first Mac will suddenly have the notes collapsed as well after a sync. I think this is a bug, because I can't always reproduce it, but it happens frequently. I'm not exactly sure when and how it happens, but it happens as a result of syncing.

Basically, to sum up this problem in one sentence: "Previously expanded notes will collapse on their own."

I would either love for this problem to be fixed, or EVEN BETTER: I would love an option to "always expand all notes in all views". That would be amazing! We never have any reason for our notes to be collapsed at all!

Or, another great solution would be if we could set a style preference to change the color/formatting of an action if it had notes attached to it.

I can't speak to this particular problem, but I do have a wish list item for notes:

I use the quick-entry window as my primary way of ploughing data into OF. Frequently, I have something on the clip board I want to put into a note.

I'd like to be able to populate the note filed without using my mouse to click on the note icon. I can tab between the other fields. It would be great if the settings for the quick-entry field could include the expansion of that notes icon so it can be used.

Last edited by johnsel; 2010-02-19 at 07:09 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsel View Post
It would be great if the settings for the quick-entry field could include the expansion of that notes icon so it can be used.
The keyboard shortcut works for me in the quick-entry window: cmd-' (command apostrophe).

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsel View Post
It would be great if the settings for the quick-entry field could include the expansion of that notes icon so it can be used.
How about Command-' to focus on the comment field?

-Dennis

PS - Oops, beat me to the draw, Malisa. :-)

I didn't know that shortcut! Thank you both! Works great!

Back to the OP question i too would like some method of controlling en-masse the toggling (sticky or otherwise) the expand/collapse of Notes. Too often my eye is cruising the one liners on left-hand side and don't notice the paperclip icon, containing something useful, yet collapsed even with all rows expanded.

I'd typically always have the notes shown, they are a useful feature. Just need some control on their visibility please. Perhaps have them included in the Expand/Collapse toggle ?

Cheers John
Not been here in ages, still watchin' for Evernote and OP linkage....
Also hoping what i ask for is not CMD+OPT+CTRL+SHIFT+- or somesuch shortie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeyell View Post
I too would like some method of controlling en-masse the toggling (sticky or otherwise) the expand/collapse of Notes.
You could attach a keystroke to a script which toggles the expansion of all notes in the content window.

Something like:

Code:
tell application id "com.omnigroup.OmniFocus"
	tell content of front window
		set refTrees to a reference to descendant trees
		set lstExpanded to note expanded of refTrees
		set blnToggle to not (first item of lstExpanded)
		set note expanded of refTrees to blnToggle
	end tell
end tell

Last edited by RobTrew; 2010-05-06 at 03:48 AM..