The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

External RSS? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is it possible to direct RSS feeds to an external reader, rather than use Omniweb? OW's feed capabilities are pretty primitive, so I prefer to use Newsfire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcoreUFO
Is it possible to direct RSS feeds to an external reader, rather than use Omniweb? OW's feed capabilities are pretty primitive, so I prefer to use Newsfire.
Ah, no. They're working on that. If you search the forums, you'll find others have asked about that & they're working on it. I've heard some people just drag the rss link to their reader app in the dock. I set up an applescript. There are probably other workarounds as well.

It's coming in 5.5.2 apparently!

Quote:
Originally Posted by forum member
Ah, no. They're working on that. If you search the forums, you'll find others have asked about that & they're working on it. I've heard some people just drag the rss link to their reader app in the dock. I set up an applescript. There are probably other workarounds as well.

How do you do it with AppleScript?

Thanks ... even something like Camino has which simply forwards feeds to your reader of choice would be great. I dont think any of the browsers handle RSS particularly well, while there are a few really good readers.

Any Applescript hints in the meantime are most welcome!

Even more useful would be to include a preference that would allow RSS feeds to be handled in web-based readers like Google Reader, Bloglines or Netnewsgator too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp07
How do you do it with AppleScript?
For any RSS link, click and hold or ctrl-click and select Copy Link to Clipboard. Then run script (helps to have the Scripts menu in your menubar or use FastScripts Lite (or the paid version).

This script is for Vienna, a free RSS reader. If you're using another program, you will probably have to check out that program's dictionary in Script Editor to see how to add a subscription to it. Assuming the program you're is scriptable.

Code:
set theClipboard to (the clipboard)

-- checks that clipboard has something resembling a URL
if class of (the clipboard) is not Unicode text then
  display dialog "The contents of the clipboard are not Unicode Text" with title "Error" with icon stop
  error number -128
end if

-- checks/corrects that RSS URL begins with http & not feed
if theClipboard begins with "feed:" then
  set theClipboard to (characters 6 thru (length of theClipboard) of theClipboard) as text
end if

repeat until theClipboard begins with "http://"
  if theClipboard does not start with "http://" then
    set newRSSURL to text returned of (display dialog "The URL of the RSS feed doesn't begin with \"http:\". 

Please correct." default answer theClipboard with title "Attention" with icon stop)
  end if

set theClipboard to newRSSURL
end repeat

tell application "Vienna"
  create new subscription for (theClipboard)
end tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by kocab
Even more useful would be to include a preference that would allow RSS feeds to be handled in web-based readers like Google Reader, Bloglines or Netnewsgator too.
Add my vote for this. I love this feature in Firefox.

I don't get it. I use NewsFire... And if I show the status bar in OW, it displays an icon that RSS feed(s) were detected. I click, select the feed, and get handed off to NewsFire, where I subscribe to that feed.

Seems like it works as intended, what's not working here? I admit I haven't been following this, so forgive my ignorance.

Google reader isn't a separate application. It is a web-based solution. Personally, what I don't get is why people are so willing to provide Google with so much information about their lives, but that is an altogether different matter...