The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Opening app opens new outline Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm running OO 3.10.2 under Lion. Before I upgraded to Lion, opening OO didn't open a new outline. It just put the app menu at the top of my screen and let me go into the menu to choose which outline to outline.

Since upgrading to Lion, opening the app opens a new outline. Since almost all of my work is in existing outlines, I don't want it to open a new outline each time I open the app. How can get OO to revert to the old behavior, and not open a new outline every time I open the app?

Have you checked the setting under

OmniOutliner Pro > Preferences > General preferences > When OmniOutliner starts up

?

When I open General Preferences, all I get is "Edit New Document Template", "Automatically create attachments from typed URLs", "Reset", and a Help button (a question mark in a circle).

There is something wrong with the newest Preferences -- it doesn't offer anything else but to edit the startup template (which opens automatically whenever you start the program).

However, the Help still refers to choices (the first 2 are missing):
When OmniOutliner starts up

- Select the Open documents which were open last time you quit to keep a consistent workspace between OmniOutliner sessions.
- The Create new document checkbox gives you a new, untitled document to work on each time you start OmniOutliner.
- The Edit New Document Template button opens the default new document template outline; any changes you save to this outline will appear in each new outline you create.
That's OO Pro v.3.10.2.

Sorry for the confusion here - the documentation needs to be updated. (Bug filed!)

What's going on here is that we're trying to move OmniOutliner closer to the behavior of Apple's own apps. Specifically, we're trying to restore the state the windows were in when the app was closed, and if there are no windows, open a new document window for you.

There's one thing that TextEdit does which OmniOutliner currently doesn't - opening a document will also remove the unsaved document it auto-created for you. That seems a little friendlier than leaving the unsaved window hanging around as we currently do - I'll file a feature request on that.

we're up to 3.10.4 and still, launch OO gives a new document?!

I'm running OS 10.7.3, but still if I quit OO w/ no files open, when I relaunch I get a new OO doc.

I have been experiencing this unwanted behavior with Mountain Lion 10.8. OmniOutliner always opens a new untitled document when launched regardless of how it is launched (directly or by opening a document) or its state when last quit (windows open or not).
Deleting the preference file, as suggested in this thread, did not resolve the issue.
I went into System Preferences / General and cleared the check box for "Close windows when quitting an application" Refer to the attached image. The notation for the check box says "When selected, open documents and windows will not be restored when you re-open an application." While this is confusing and non-intuitive, it does resolve the OO3 behavior issue
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	prefs.png
Views:	565
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	2494  

OmniOutliner Pro 3.10.5 always opens a new outline when the application is launched or its dock icon is clicked.
This is EXTREMELY ANNOYING and UNWANTED BEHAVIOR.
Come on, Omni, listen to your paying customers. I've been purchasing your applications for years and I DON'T WANT THIS!
Restore the preference to stop this. Why are you taking user preferences away?
Can you afford to lose customers because of your arrogance? Keep it up and I will stop supporting you.

Sorry for the trouble. We've been trying to figure out what's causing this for some people but have not had any luck reproducing the behavior yet. If you wouldn't mind doing some experimenting for us, what happens if you:
-Type something in the new document that opens
-Quit the app (are you prompted to save that file?)
-Relaunch
Is that unsaved file restored with the text you typed? If so, did a new blank document also open?

Thanks

I just tried what you suggest. If I quit the document, I get prompted to save the file. But if I quit the app, I do not, and the next time I open the app, the text I just typed in the unsaved document appears.

My problem is I don't want an new document to open every time I start OmniOutliner. I then have to close it and go to File/Open to elect the file I want. I'd rather it just gave me the Open File prompt without the new document.