The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Clean Up not working Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I was very excited to try OmniFocus. I cut and pasted 25 items from OmniOuntliner into OF. Then ran Clean Up by clicking on the icon in the Toolbar with no result. So I tried selecting individual items, all items and running the Clean Up command from the edit menu. The only items that 'Cleaned Up' are items associated with a project. So I uninstalled OmniFocus with AppZapper, restarted my computer, and reinstalled OF with the same results.

I am running the latest Beta, which I believe is a full featured demo. Any help would be appreciated.

Clean up only "cleans up" items which have a project, by default. You can change this in Preferences > Data; you'll need at least a project or a context for clean up to work (I have mine set to require both a project AND a context to cleanup, because if an item is missing either one for me, it means I haven't done the necessary thought to process it completely).

Also, if you have items which aren't "projects", but are single actions, you can group those into a "single actions" bucket by default also.

Thank you jasong. I changed Preferences/Data to a context, and created a folder called Action List for these single actions, but what is the "single actions" bucket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce L View Post
Thank you jasong. I changed Preferences/Data to a context, and created a folder called Action List for these single actions, but what is the "single actions" bucket?
Actions can't be in folders; they have to be in a project or a list of single actions. The latter, indicated by a bucket icon instead of the file card icon, have the characteristic that every action in them is a next action and is colored blue by default. Some of us old-timers on the forums still call them "buckets" because that's how they were designated, informally, in early discussions.

So you don't need an Action List folder, but you do need to define a default list of single actions. I call mine "Miscellany." I also have single action lists under many of my folders so that those actions show up when I focus on the folder.