The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Enhancement recommendation: Duration auto-total Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hey, Ken & everyone....

You know it would be so cool if a Project's duration could auto-total off the durations for all its Actions!

This functionality already exists in OmniOutliner and would be perfect (and super-helpful) in OmniFocus.

--Sandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by santra View Post
Hey, Ken & everyone....

You know it would be so cool if a Project's duration could auto-total off the durations for all its Actions!

This functionality already exists in OmniOutliner and would be perfect (and super-helpful) in OmniFocus.
If this is put in, though, there should be an option to turn it off. Why? I don't always enter estimated duration, and it would be misleading to see a project that had "30m" as the total duration because I had only indicated durations on a handful of the six bajillion actions in that project.

Plus it could be truly scary to see the result! And as someone else said in another thread, many of us are bad at estimating times on individual actions, which would make project totals wildly inaccurate.

But I'm OK with it as long as I can turn it off! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianogilvie View Post
…it would be misleading to see a project that had "30m" as the total duration because I had only indicated durations on a handful of the six bajillion actions in that project.
Well, how about a setting to leave undefined, or "greater than X", any time summation for a group that contains items with an undefined duration. For myself, actions without a duration are just ones that I forgot to define, so I'd like as many flags as possible to take care of that…

Just my $0.02...

J