The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus iPhone App - Pricing? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
I can't speak for other app developers, but Omni plans to offer minor updates (eg 1.1-1.9) for free, as we do with our desktop apps. Yes, Apple does provide the infrastructure for that. Whether we'll be able to offer a discount for 2.0 to current 1.0 users is less clear.
this is very frustrating for me. this program does NOT live up to the same graphic standards at other omni programs. i'm somewhat mobile during the day and need to print out my lists to use with me. and from the lousy implementation for printing, i have in my hands a product i won't show my clients (because it looks so unprofessional). coordination with ical or mail to do's is limited (not omni's fault imho), so i was thrilled we could port it to the iphone.

so now to effectively use this program, i have to shell out another $20 on top of the $80 already paid. ouch. and then to see your comment above, i could no longer be silent. so no upgrade discount for the next generation that may make the program usable? this program is still in beta as far as i'm concerned. so to pay full price for the next version? i'm losing faith in omni.

i have no problem paying for software. in fact i even paid for omniweb, omnigraffle, omnioutliner, and omniplan. i never used the browser and hardly use the graffle and plan programs. but i pay because i WANT to support your efforts. you came into the market and set a new standard for intelligent use, graphical interface, and products we could use. omnifocus has failed to reach that same level of quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdonovan View Post
What I haven't been able to find info on anywhere is how upgrades to App Store apps will be handled. $20 for v1.0 isn't that big a deal if I know I can get 1.1-1.9 for free (ponying up for v2.0 isn't unreasonable), but if I'd have to pay for each new version, then the price would have to come down by at least half.

While Apple will obviously know that I purchased v1.0, will the App Store be smart enough to have different terms for current license holders as opposed to new purchasers?
great point! if i knew that i'd get free upgrades up to a certain points, or some kind of benefit for owning both desktop and mobile down the road, then the price would be easier to swallow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
I can't speak for other app developers, but Omni plans to offer minor updates (eg 1.1-1.9) for free, as we do with our desktop apps. Yes, Apple does provide the infrastructure for that. Whether we'll be able to offer a discount for 2.0 to current 1.0 users is less clear.
Thanks for the follow up. Just after I posted, my phone showed that there was an update available for the NY Times app, so I have now seen what that infrastructure looks like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgecko View Post
so no upgrade discount for the next generation that may make the program usable? this program is still in beta as far as i'm concerned.
Keep in mind that Omni Group, like all other iPhone developers, is constrained by the limitations and policies of the App Store. When Lizard wrote, "Whether we'll be able to offer a discount for 2.0 to current 1.0 users is less clear," I interpret that charitably as follows: Whether the App Store will allow Omni Group to offer a separate upgrade price from 1.x to 2.0, in addition to the price for 2.0 for new users, is less clear.

Note too that he (or she) was talking about the iPhone app, NOT the desktop app.

And if you think the program is "still in beta" and unusable, why did you pay for it? It's easy to get frustrated by the limitations of any application, but hyperbole gets in the way of a constructive discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaZulia View Post
Looks like I was wrong. $20.

I still think it is a little on the high side as an OmniFocus owner, but it won't stop me and the other 1,000s of people from buying it.

$14 straight into OG's pockets. No other company deserves it more.

BZ
I too was disappointed to see it at $20 - but that's because I'd gotten it in my head that it would probably be $10. But buying it was a no-brainer for me. I need mobile functionality, and would probably pay $50 for it.

I've only had OF for iPhone for a day, but I have zero buyer's remorse. It's a fantastic app, synchronized beautifully, and is going to make my life much better. Thanks, Omni!

I have been using OF on and off since the early sneaky peak that was developed from Ethan's program. $20 for a productivity app that you can have in your pocket that syncs with your mac is such a no brainer! Think about what your life was like with no iphone a year ago? How much more productive are you now that you have your contacts and calender with you? I would venture a guess that you are much more productive! As a long time mac user one of the things we as a community can count on is a viable developer base that responds to our needs. Omni is one of these companies. They are a real company with real people that have to make a profit. With apple taking 30% for distribution Omni is making about $14.00 per copy. With out knowing what development costs are involved it would seem IMO that OF for the iphone is a deal.

FYI, this is a note I received regarding the "Things" GTD app for iPhone:

Things for iPhone and iPod touch available

Yesterday not only saw the debut of the iTunes App Store. A budding new member was born to the Things family too: Things for iPhone and iPod touch. But while Things for the iPhone is promising and developing fast, it is not without its teething troubles.

No sync?

The short development time available to us made it impossible to recreate every feature of the desktop version in time for the App Store's launch. Most notable is the omission of sync with the desktop version. This and many more features will be delivered as free updates.

Substantial discount now - free updates later

Here is the deal. As long as major features are missing, we will offer Things for the iPhone for US$ 9.99, which is 50% of what was initially planned. Missing features like syncing with the desktop version will be provided as free updates.

Once more and more features are added, we will gradually adapt the price to its final target between $15 and $25.

25000 developers applied for the App Store. 4000+ were accepted. At its launch 500 applications were available. But Things already made it into the Top 25 category!

Last edited by joelande; 2008-07-12 at 03:06 PM..

I guess it says something about Omni that they have been able to provide syncing so well in that same "short development time."

Just thought I'd chime in. Like many people I was put off by the $20 price tag. I bit though and am extremely happy. Omni really packed the features into the iPhone version. I am really impressed. If taking your action list with you is important to you than the app will be worth it.

We offer free updates to all our products. For example, OmniFocus 1.1 is a free update to 1.0 and offers some major new functionality with the ability to synchronize your database. (It also adds archiving and some new style preferences, so hopefully there's something in this release for everyone.)

When the time comes for us to release a new major upgrade (i.e., OmniFocus 2.0), we plan to offer existing customers a substantial discount on the new version just as we do with all our other applications. On the desktop side, of course, we control our own store and we know that we can offer discounts as we already do.

The only wrinkle is we don't know whether this sort of upgrade will be possible on the iTunes store, but we've already expressed the need for this to Apple (months ago!) and we hope they'll have this in place by the time we have a 2.0 release. (That's still quite a ways off, so they do have some time!) If this is important to you, too, I encourage you to send Apple some feedback requesting this as well.

I hope this clarifies things somewhat!