The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SneakyPeak 1.1 Columns bug ??? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcalloway View Post
Yep, only way it works is if I previously selected a Perspective for which I have saved the column view. It seems that the column view setting does carry over after selecting a Perspective containing that column view, even if I select a project that is not part of that perspective. But, I have to select the Perspective first.
Yes, the column settings stay with the window, even if you change the window contents (sidebar selection, action selections) such that it no longer matches the perspective originally selected. But changing the selected items in the sidebar will not, in my experience, change the column headings. I even created a brand-new user to try this out, just to make sure that it was true even when no user perspectives had been created and no preferences changed from their factory defaults.

Think of the perspective as an initial set of settings for a window. OF will set up the window (new or existing depending on what you choose for "always open in new window") according to those settings, which include sidebar selection, window size, column choice, etc. They will stay set for that window until you change that window, whether by clicking on different sidebar items, resizing the window, adding or removing columns, and so on. Even then, the only changes will be the ones you make.

Note also that if you open up multiple windows with the same perspective, then edit the view options for one of them, such as adding or dropping a column, it will not influence the other windows.

@Curt-
I meant single-clicking on a project in the sidebar.

@whpalmer4
Cool, I hear what you're saying, and that is exactly how it happens on my OF. It just seems really backwards for it to do that. It would be great to have a Preference to declare a "Default View" or "Inherit Perspectives View". If a project selected in the sidebar does not belong to a Perspective, then there is no way to set its view (unless you select a Perspective beforehand that contains the view).

Last edited by bcalloway; 2008-09-15 at 04:59 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcalloway View Post
@Curt-
I meant single-clicking on a project in the sidebar.

@whpalmer4
Cool, I hear what you're saying, and that is exactly how it happens on my OF. It just seems really backwards for it to do that. It would be great to have a Preference to declare a "Default View" or "Inherit Perspectives View". If a project selected in the sidebar does not belong to a Perspective, then there is no way to set its view (unless you select a Perspective beforehand that contains the view).
Ah, okay, I see what you are saying. I don't think it would be unreasonable to have some means of telling OF what the default view should look like. I'm not so sure that it makes sense to snap to that default view as soon as you change the sidebar selection, though. If I'm looking at one project in a given viewing style, I'm probably going to want to look at the next one the same way. If not, I have a different perspective to use. So, I've got a perspective for doing my inbox processing, which has all the columns, as I'll want to fill all that stuff in if I know it, and it will only show the Inbox. Reviewing projects, I'll want the dates but don't need the sidebar. My flagged view is for stuff that needs to be done now, so no need for dates and in the tickler view of things starting today, again, no need for dates. The only perspective that I have which selects content for me in the sidebar is one done to consolidate some contexts which sometimes overlap (for grocery shopping at different stores) but the grouping there isn't one I find useful for other things, so instead of clicking something in the sidebar, I select the appropriate perspective for what I'm doing next. Yes, I realize this last case could be used as an argument for your default view notion, except in my case, about half the time the default view wouldn't be the one I'd want.

What happens in your scheme if you want to include a project (or a context) in more than one perspective? What if you click on more than one project (or context) and they belong to different perspectives? I think the "the perspective is a property of the project" idea has some problems in this regard, and I'll bet (not very much) that it might have been a factor in why Omni chose to go with the current scheme.