The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OmniFocus URI Handler (create tasks via URL) [See Omni note on pg 5!] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Thank you all for the guidance. The script is great, and the bookmarklets work great in Safari and in Firefox.

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawxray View Post
Thank you all for the guidance. The script is great, and the bookmarklets work great in Safari and in Firefox.
FYI: The OmniFocus service to create a task on ^T works great in Safari and may well be preferable.

Surprise!

This fine script just up and quit on me...

It worked fine, but suddenly I can get it to open OF, but not to make an entry in either the Inbox or the Quick Entry window.

Notes:

Still works fine in Safari.

Properties of bookmarklets are unchanged, when compared with those in Safari.

I tried re-installing the script in my Apps folder.

I tried re-installing the bookmarklets in my Bookmarks bar.

The Services->OmniFocus choices are grayed out in FireFox, but normal in Safari.

I am using FF 3.0.4 (just upgraded). Could that be the problem?

Thanks!

Quote:
I am using FF 3.0.4 (just upgraded). Could that be the problem?
Could be. I haven't tested it. I don't have the script or Firefox handy. Has anyone else tried it?

A few more details:

If I do not select any text, 'Send to Inbox' does not work. That is, my keyboard shortcut does nothing, and the 'Services->OmniFocus:Send to Inbox' entry is greyed out.

If I select text, my keyboard shortcut works by opening up a Quick Entry window in Safari, Mail, TextEdit. But in FF, even with text selected, the keyboard shortcut elicits an error sound, and no entry is made in the OF Inbox. Or...if I have the OF prefs set to send clippings to a QuickEntry window, no window opens up.

Again, it works fine in other apps, but makes only an error sound in FF.

Thanks.

I've tested this in FireFox 3.04 without trouble.

I dragged both links on the download page (which is broken, thanks to an ill-considered domain transition) into my toolbar and both worked straight out of the gates.

I then added a keyword to each (sof and sofq for send to OF and send to Quick Entry, respectively) and typing in those keywords into the address bar properly ran the script and sent the page to OF.

I suspect you have a conflicting add-on in Firefox. NoScript, Greasemonkey and adblock/adblock plus are typical suspects.

Try disabling your add-ons and see if it starts working.

Quote:
If I do not select any text, 'Send to Inbox' does not work. That is, my keyboard shortcut does nothing, and the 'Services->OmniFocus:Send to Inbox' entry is greyed out.
If I select text, my keyboard shortcut works by opening up a Quick Entry window in Safari, Mail, TextEdit. But in FF, even with text selected, the keyboard shortcut elicits an error sound, and no entry is made in the OF Inbox. Or...if I have the OF prefs set to send clippings to a QuickEntry window, no window opens up.[/QUOTE]

You're confusing it with the ^T send to omnifocus service, that's provided by OmniFocus itself, and will only work in applications that support services. Firefox is not one of these -- hence the need for this URI handler.

All this script does is lets you create bookmarklets or otherwise send actions to OmniFocus using a URL scheme. The applet you download is just a handler for these URLs and nothing more. It will NOT work in any application that cannot have a bookmarklet.

Thanks for the follow-up.

I disabled add-ons, but no help. I did notice one item, however. Perhaps this will help point the way:

When I use the bookmarklets in Safari, which work fine, I see the OmniFocus URI Handler title show up in the top left title bar as the process completes.

When I use the same bookmarklet in FF, I get an instant change to FireFox in the same location. No evidence the URI Handler is invoked.

If I go to my Applications folder and double-click on the URI Handler script I have placed there, I get a new entry in the OF inbox:

JavaScript escape() Function

with the attachment:

The escape() function encodes a string, so it can be read on all computers.

So I believe the problem may lie in a break between FF and the script in my applications folder.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited by sawxray; 2008-12-27 at 07:09 AM.. Reason: Upon further fiddling...

This is exactly what I neeeded. Thanks for the scripts and the explanations.

Quote:
When I use the bookmarklets in Safari, which work fine, I see the OmniFocus URI Handler title show up in the top left title bar as the process completes.

When I use the same bookmarklet in FF, I get an instant change to FireFox in the same location. No evidence the URI Handler is invoked.
Again, I've tested this myself in both Firefox 2 and 3 and have no problems, so I can't really speak to what's going on there.

As for the escape function text showing up when you run the program, that's actually some debugging code that I neglected to disable. I was testing URL escaping, and encoded "The javascript escape() function..." as the string to pass to the script.

And, yes, the bookmarklet does escape() the clipped text, but that's a requirement of anything that handles a URI, to ensure that ambiguous spaces and other special characters are passed along reliably.

You may want to check whether Firefox has assigned the OF URI Handler as the appropriate application for x-omnifocus URLs. Go to the Applications tabs of your Firefox Preferences and search for "x-omnifocus." Make sure it exists and that it's set to the right app, and isn't set to "ask" or some other program.

Last edited by iNik; 2009-01-04 at 07:23 AM..