The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Help! My brain hurts. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm a small business owner that needs something powerful like OmniFocus! But I'm not sure if it's right for me.

I only learned about the Omnigroup's products today... and I'm impressed/stunned. For the past 3 years I've been using a discontinued PIM named Dossier that actually seems to have used some of the Omnigroup's code!

Anyway, I used Dossier for a long while but now my life has more data and more tasks than ever before-- and the program can't keep up. I primarily use it for to-do lists and notes.

OmniFocus seems to have the to-do lists down solid-- but what about notes? Sometimes I'll be working on a Project and just want to "braindump" a bunch of ideas...things that don't need to get done but are just documents-- like a journal entry or a project proposal.

Should I solely rely on OmniFocus for to-do lists and a PIM like DevonThink (or my defunct Dossier) for notes? For me these two things are really linked right now--maybe they shouldn't be?

Curious to hear what people have done in the past-- this forum seems quite vibrant, so I look forward to hearing from you guys! Honestly, I'm stunned at OmniFocuses features... can't wait to start using it.

-jason

I can see by the way you're saying things like 'To Do Lists' that you may not be coming from GTD land

Step One: Read 'Getting Things Done'

Step Two: Tell us how you got on

(If you've already read it I apologize, but it seems from your post you may not have. You sound a bit overwhelmed with 'stuff' and if you were 'doing' GTD you probably wouldn't be)

Many people on these forums use Ominfocus for their 'doing' lists (or as we call them, next actions) and OmniOutliner for stuff as you say which is more project brainstorming notes than actual 'stuff I need to do'. Others use Evernote or other apps to manage their notes.

Omnifocus does do notes, but it's not designed for it. I've tried using OF for note taking as well as to do list making and it's not cut out for it. And the consensus around here tends to be that's not what it's really for, although you can use it a bit like that but it's a bit cumbersome.

you could track my thread:

'OF and raw information'

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=14002

as I'm chasing a similar issue :-)

peter

@Bevvy, you're right-- I only learned of GTD the same day I learned of OmniFocus. I do indeed need to read the book before pursuing this line of thought further. People have recommended Evernote so I will try that and OmniOutliner. I suppose this isn't the proper place to hunt for that sort of thing.

Thanks Peter, will check out your thread.

ps. Love the active community here, really welcoming and informed. Strong a selling point of this app :)