The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Incorporating Goals into O.F... Any Ideas? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Wondering how anyone addresses-setting and acheiving "goals" in omnifocus.
Goals and projects are definitely different things and maybe are best left written out in notepads like i have been used to.... Still im trying to figure out how to incorporate them (practically/logically) into omnifocus, because it would be nice to have it all in one 'database', plus i want to utilize some of the organization benefits from OF for this.

Anyone thought about this before, or have any opinions, thanks folks.

James

I think the closest I have to a "goal" in mine is my Someday/Maybe list. But I haven't thought about it too much so far.

I posted a description in this ancient thread about how I'm handling this (see post #13). I've been using essentially the same structure since the pre-release sneaky peeks. It works great for me.

Curt

thanks for the sharing the ideas! im trying out omnioutliner and macjournal, and will probly try out Aspire to complete my GTD based system tools.
Any others found an effective way to manage the larger objectives and goals that they'd care to share?

Best Regards,
James

I've started using some mind mapping software. I'm thinking that larger goals and objectives need a freer way of thinking and I'm going to review my mind map as I go along in conjunction with OF. I have a good feeling about doing it this way already.

In a way, goals and objectives can be more fluid, especially as in GTD when you get to 50k feet - it becomes a bit abstract and you need to go with the flow. Mind mapping is great for that.

I'm using Freemind, which is free and very good.

Some of what I do overlaps with other posters.

I use the following SALs, taken from David Allen's GTD Horizons of Focus:

GTD 50,000', Purpose and core values SAL
GTD 40,000', Vision, 3-5 year goals SAL
GTD 30,000', Goals and objectives, 1-2 year goals SAL
GTD 20,000', Areas of focus and responsibility SAL

In each are actions (and some action groups), but they are not real actions. I'm using OF as a (horizons of focus) list and outliner in this section of my OF data. I could use OmniOutliner, which I own, but I like having these things in OF. I also use a mind mapping app, which I enjoy a great deal (different thinking space). I try to move things from there to my structure (above) when I can, but the truth is there is overlap and ambiguity about where things go—but in an interesting way, the perceived un-resolved nature of that actually generates creative thinking, and ongoing redefinition. Useful!

Bob

I also have SALs for 10k' and runway, but just for notes, since 10k' are projects, and runway is actions.

Last edited by omnibob; 2009-09-30 at 09:11 AM..