The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus URI Handler (create tasks via URL) [See Omni note on pg 5!] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
OmniFocus URI Handler

This little applet takes an "x-omnifocus:" URL and turns it into an OmniFocus inbox task. You use standard web syntax like this to create your new tasks:

x-omnifocus:newtask?name=foo&context=bar&notes=barfo o

It also lets you pass things like the context and project via the URL. Furthermore, you can decide whether to route the task to Quick Entry or straight into the inbox (&quickentry=1).

Lastly, it also permits a "parsetasks" handler so that you can parse multiple tasks by passing them in a URL.

Bookmarklets are provided in the read-me file that's included with the applet itself. One nice feature of the bookmarklets is that they save any selected text in your browser as a note, along with the URL.

My goal here was not just to have browser-bookmarklet support (although that's what started it off), but also to have an easy way to "glue" other programs into OmniFocus, especially programs that aren't scriptable. I just took my lead from all the simple "REST" apis on the web these days and essentially created my own little REST service for OmniFocus.

I use this now with a handful of shell scripts as well as bookmarklets.

Just posted a new version. If you picked it up in the first few minutes it was out, please re-download.

http://inik.net/omnifocus-uri-handler

Very nice! Thanks for posting!

-Dennis

First, thanks for the app and bookmarks. I use Firefox and this is def. needed. Second, for those that aren't as browser/app savvy it would be good to provide more info on how to install/configure this stuff. What I did was drag the OmniFocus URI handler app to my Applications folder and then manually created a bookmark in Firefox by using the copy link location function via the cntrl-mouse click in either Safari or FF. Then in FF I went to the bookmark manager and manually created a bookmark whose location was the pasted contents of the copied link.

Easier still: Take the links on the download page and drag 'em to your browser's toolbar.

Perfect! Thank you!!!

The method is unclear, despite the efforts of iNik and wfiveash...:(

I also cannot find a download link to drag to my toolbar...double :(

Could someone spell it out just a bit for me?

Thanks!

Here's a screen capture from iNik's web page.

See where it says "Send Page to OmniFocus"? That is one of the links in question, and the rest follow it. Drag whichever one(s) strike your fancy to your bookmark bar after installing his software (click on the "OmniFocus URI Handler" link below Version History) and you should be in business.

Thanks for the feedback. I added a little help on how to install the bookmarklets on the page.

Boy, I wish there was a way that this could work with Thunderbird to put info into omni.