The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Crash at Launch; Lion and iDisk Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
OK, I admit I'm a hold out. Just upgraded to Lion and iCloud because iDisk went away, and so...

Used Migration Assistant to move my apps after doing a clean (reformatted drive) install of Lion (I alway do it this way, to get rid of the clutter, and only bring over what I really need, from a bootable clone).

But now OF crashes on launch. Have sent crash reports to HQ, along with a support request, but also asking here hoping someone will get me back in business soon.

Tanx,

DB

If you're using Mac App Store OmniFocus, you may have a corrupted binary. There's a lot of that going around today/yesterday, details are probably out of scope for this discussion but short version is that some apps are being corrupted.

For oldschool flavor OmniFocus, you can try blowing away your preferences and see what happens.

What I do when I blow stuff up, I set-aside your Application Support (~/Library/Application\ Support/OmniFocus) and preference files (~/Library/Preferences/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus.*) and relaunch and resync with your sync server/folder/whatever.

If you don't have a sync service and/or are confused by any of this please wait for help from someone else or a support Ninja. I do this when I install developer releases of OSs and have problems like you're describing or otherwise have to reset an application to defaults.

Neckbeard version in Terminal:

Code:
tar czvpf ~/omnifocus-preferences.tgz ~/Library/Application\ Support/OmniFocus ~/Library/Preferences/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus.*
which will make a tar archive of your OmniFocus folders and preference files and stash that in your home directory ("~" in Neckbeard)

Code:
rm -r ~/Library/Application\ Support/OmniFocus ~/Library/Preferences/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus.*
which will delete that stuff we just archived.

Fresh launch of OmniFocus will be like the factory showroom, if you want to revert back:

Code:
tar zxvpf ~/omnifocus-preferences.tgz -C ~
Will drop everything back where it was, with permissions intact.

I cannot promise that this will not result in alien abduction, tax increases, or cattle mutilations.

Thanks for the effort.

No mac app store. Migrated the applications, and when OF crashed, I downloaded a new copy (though same, latest version).

A ninja suggested deleting the cache file, to no avail.

I deleted all prefs.

No Application Support file as it never launched to create one, thus it also isn't getting to the sync stage.

Also just app zapped and reinstalled the recent download and still crash and burn on launch.

All cows in the area seem to here still and acting normally, from this distance. ;-)

Another thing to investigate would be whether any 3rd party Input Managers, SIMBL plugins, or other system modifications are running. For whatever reason, we've been seeing a number of of crashes in our apps that are actually caused by things like that for the last month or so.