The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Omni Group Payment System Safe? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,
Has anyone had a problem with credit card security after paying for Omniweb?

I paid with a rarely used credit card, that has never left the house, to pay online for Omniweb last month - I made no further transactions on the card. Several days later my credit card address was changed and more than £6000 spent on the card in several around £1000 transactions.
It all happened in the UK on a Lloyds TSB Mastercard. The money was spent in the UK, the new fraudulent address was also in the UK.

Not blaming Omni Group, I've no proof that's how the details were taken - but, did anyone else have a problem?

I'm really sorry this happened - I haven't heard of any other customers having problems like this, but we'll certainly keep an eye out.

In the meantime, you may want to run the standard set of antivirus/antispyware tools over your machine. A couple of months back, I failed to keep my browser plugins up to date, and my username/password for my account in an online game got sent to a third party who then stripped it clean.

They got the info by logging all of the keystrokes I made on the machine, then sending that info off to the far reaches of the internet. Fun times.

Thanks for the reply.
As I said, not blaming Omni Group - just that it was the last transaction.
Maybe I'm getting lazy with security on my mac - your post is the second one I've read this week regarding anti virus on a mac.

Keystroke logging may well be a problem.

there are a lot of security issues on a mac. the fact that the theft of services happened in the uk and not the us might suggest that the data theft happened in your own country..but who can be sure?
do you use wireless internet or cable modems that can be subject to packet-sniffing, eg.?
one of the reasons i use omniweb is as an alternative to safari when i want added security. this is not true of the browsers in general, but my version of safari has haxies like SIMBL which can compromise security through a technique called 'swizzle.'
i like my haxies because these make web reading more enjoyable as much as they make cybercommerce dangerous.

Recommend you check out 1Password for it's wallet and password features. It uses a different method of filling webforms so keylogging attacks don't work.