The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 4 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniOutliner 4 is now available! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
[For those who might not have seen this OmniOutliner 4 announcement on our blog…]

Today, we’re proud to announce the release of OmniOutliner 4! It’s the perfect outliner for OS X — rebuilt with new architecture, a fresh design, and all the functionality you’ve come to expect from one of the oldest and most trusted creation tools on the platform.

Start downloading the app and watch the introduction video.

OmniOutliner 4 is even better

OmniOutliner is still the swiss army knife you use daily: write a novel during NaNoWriMo, take notes at school, keep your scratchpad updated for the Next Big Thing, develop a monthly budget, inventory a collection … even record and store audio from an interview or lecture.

We put a lot of effort into this release, and it’s evident. It’s faster, stronger, and wiser. Mavericks (OS X v10.9) is a requirement, and that’s a good thing — OmniOutliner 4 benefits from a lot of improvements in the latest OS.

You’ll see a new, modern sidebar. When coupled with the cleaner inspectors, styles are much easier to use. It’s the same system we added to OmniOutliner 2 for iPad — easier to understand and a breeze to get the look you want. Not great with color schemes and Big Font Decisions? It’s easy with Theme Styling, — just head to Format→Apply Template Theme, and choose something that looks good. (You can do this with any existing document that has a style you like — OmniOutliner will apply its color, size, and font.)

And the most requested feature, text zooming, has come to the Mac! Quickly increase your text sizes (without worrying about changing your print or page settings) to easily see or share your on-screen outline.

…and much more! We added Smart Match (for when typing in a Pop-up List cell), new date parsing logic, column hiding, a Resource Browser, a fantastic new sidebar — hey, just give it a download!

We’re also growing our library of resources to aid new users. The latest is an OmniOutliner tutorial, Working in OmniOutliner 4, that covers all the basics: from outlining fundamentals to creating your own templates or themes. Available as an EPUB or PDF.

How much?

Well, actually: if you purchased OmniOutliner in the past 3 years—since January 6, 2011—you won’t need to pay a dime! We promised all Mac App Store customers a free upgrade to OmniOutliner 4, and that applies to our store as well. If your purchase date falls in that range, you’ll get an email with an upgraded license automatically.

OmniOutliner 4 has not yet been approved for sale in the Mac App Store, but all customers who purchased OmniOutliner 3 in the App Store will automatically receive a free upgrade once it’s approved. Look for the update in the Updates section of the App Store app (it may also be automatically installed).

Pricing for new purchases (if you don’t own a copy of OmniOutliner) starts at $49.99. Upgrades start at $24.99. Head to the store to buy your copy.

For more information, check out our support article on upgrading.

How do I upgrade to Pro?

In the Mac App Store, add Pro features to OmniOutliner 4 Standard via the “In-App Purchase…” OmniOutliner menu item.

If you purchased a previous version directly from our store, you’re eligible for a discount. Just make sure you select the correct upgrade option during checkout.

Unfortunately, due to limitations in Apple’s system, we cannot turn a license from the Mac App Store into a license from our store, or vice versa.

Last edited by Ken Case; 2014-01-15 at 10:46 AM..

Can versions 3 and 4 happily coexist?

Thanks

Bob

Hi

Upgraded today to version 4, Fabulous!!

However I have several older Macs that do not run Mavericks. Will OO3 still be available from the App Store should I ever need to reinstall the application?

Thanks

rtebiz:
If you purchased from us, versions 3 and 4 can sit side by side and keep their data separate.

If you purchased from the Mac App Store, it thinks of them as the same app, so it will probably replace your OO3 with OO4.

Free upgrade? That's a wonderful surprise, thank you.

Pardon my being dense. You have probably answered this already.

I am a registered user of OO Pro 3.10.6 and currently have it installed.

I have also grabbed and installed OO4.

Should I go ahead and uninstall OO Pro now? Is there any reason (from a feature/functionality point of view) for me to keep it installed alongside OO4?

Thanks!

- Mark

As I have an older Macbook that cannot use Mavericks and I can no longer download OO3 from the App store.
If I make a copy of OO3 onto a backup drive, and if anything untoward should happen to my Macbook. Would it simply be a matter of copying the OO3.app back into the Applications folder for it to work or are there other files that need to be copied too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markewallace View Post
Pardon my being dense. You have probably answered this already.

I am a registered user of OO Pro 3.10.6 and currently have it installed.

I have also grabbed and installed OO4.

Should I go ahead and uninstall OO Pro now? Is there any reason (from a feature/functionality point of view) for me to keep it installed alongside OO4?

Thanks!

- Mark
As far as we are concerned, no, there is no reason to keep both. You may feel differently but that is up to you to decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keypix View Post
As I have an older Macbook that cannot use Mavericks and I can no longer download OO3 from the App store.
If I make a copy of OO3 onto a backup drive, and if anything untoward should happen to my Macbook. Would it simply be a matter of copying the OO3.app back into the Applications folder for it to work or are there other files that need to be copied too?
If you have 10.8 on that Macbook, you will be able to download 3.10.6. When you click the install button it will say you are unable to run the current version but you can download the last compatible version. I do not know if this is supported by the App Store in earlier OS X versions but you could easily check by moving the currently installed version to the trash (don't empty it) and then try to download the app from the App Store again. If it doesn't work, just move the copy out of the trash back to your Application folder.

Does OmniOutliner 4 improve cut and paste?

Many times I using OmniOutliner to create notes, yet cutting and pasting creates a big mess with attempts at checkboxes, indention etc. Would be really helpful to have options to remove all that. Maybe export as... or copy as... Or an option to select an area of text and tell it to collapse or reflow into one paragraph.

Is there a trial version of OmniOutliner 4 available?