The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OmniFocus 1.6 for iPhone is now available! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Thanks Ken for the update. Congratulations on implementing a release that illustrates your vision for a seamless experience. That is encouraging to current users. Especially like the following items.

Perspectives:
Even though Perspectives are in context mode (which is a small percentage of my overall perspectives), this is a welcomed addition to the iPhone. I have been waiting for this for a while.

Quick Entry:
Also the Quick Entry button text was a great feature (although I knew about it), I did not know if it was supported/encouraged as I thought it might slow down/cancel the sync if I pushed it. Good to know that it was approved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Jones View Post
The Perspectives feature, at first glance, appears to not function as I expected. I am not getting the results that I would expect. As one example, I have a 'Due' perspective that shows me 'Due' and the Status for the perspective is set to 'Due Soon'. On the desktop this morning, I have two tasks that appear in this view, both due today. On the iPhone, this perspective shows me tasks with due dates all the way out to April. Below the dated list, it appears that every remaining task in my database (which are all undated) appear.
Yes, 'Due Soon' as an action filter on the Mac doesn't seem to work the same way on the iPhone. Whether or not this was a design decision, I don't know. It doesn't filter out actions which have no due date. On the other hand, I don't like that there isn't a way to construct a context mode perspective on the Mac that shows all items with a due date, not just those overdue and due soon.

Quote:
Also, I have a flagged perspective that, as you might expect, includes all flagged items. On the iPhone, I get the same list of flagged items at the top, then I get a repeat list with all the projects that contain the flagged items. Any flagged item that appears in a SAL is grouped in a section titled 'No Context'.
I'm not seeing the SAL behavior you report. All my flagged actions in SALs end up in their appropriate context when viewed in my Flagged perspective which I think is unchanged from factory settings. The list I get with no context consists of projects that don't have a default context set. One thing that Ken seems to have omitted from the release notes is that action groups and projects now show up! Here's the relevant text from the first release notes from the alpha test:

Feature: Parent items (projects and other groups of actions) and Inbox items now show up in Context lists, Due lists, and Flagged lists. When a list is sorted by project they follow their children (the natural order for completing them).

Quote:
Is there any documentation on how perspectives are mapped to the iPhone, so that I know how to configure my perspectives so that the results are consistent on both platforms?
No, not that I've seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrhee View Post
I also get items that spans multiple days in perspectives that should be limited to 24 hours, and also same thing on flagged.
What do you mean by that, exactly? The perspective support on the iPhone doesn't heed what was collapsed on the Mac, is that what you mean?
Quote:
Also, one perspective, I was getting a number of projects listed underneath the tasks under the label "No Due Date." This is not the behavior I see in OF for Mac.
Yes, you don't see it in OF for Mac because it is an OF for Mac 1.8 feature :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
I'm not seeing the SAL behavior you report. All my flagged actions in SALs end up in their appropriate context when viewed in my Flagged perspective which I think is unchanged from factory settings. The list I get with no context consists of projects that don't have a default context set. One thing that Ken seems to have omitted from the release notes is that action groups and projects now show up! Here's the relevant text from the first release notes from the alpha test:

Feature: Parent items (projects and other groups of actions) and Inbox items now show up in Context lists, Due lists, and Flagged lists. When a list is sorted by project they follow their children (the natural order for completing them).
I've not had much time to explore this further, but today I do not see the SAL behavior that I first reported. However, I am seeing the behavior where when a flagged item contained within a project that has a default context, the project and the task appear in the flagged perspective (follow the children). Flagged tasks that are in a project without a default context do not show the project. If this is indeed a feature, it is not obvious to me how so? If I am in flat, context mode list, why would I want to display any hierarchical data? I suppose this might have value for me if the project is flagged, but in my database I have no flagged projects.

Again, let me say it is not yet obvious to me how this feature might add value, but my first reaction is that I believe it is counter-intuitive and counter-GTD. My GTD workflow, and my understanding of GTD, is to plan (if desired) in a hierarchical mode, but it is imperative to work the plan in a flat mode. This is one of the key things that always appealed to me with OmniFocus-a hierarchical planning (Project) mode and a flat working (Context) mode. I suppose I can override this by removing the default contexts from my projects, but I will miss the time-saving feature that came with auto-assigning a default context.

Test project with a default context assigned, and a flagged task in that project, viewed in a flagged perspective. The project is not flagged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Jones View Post
Test project with a default context assigned, and a flagged task in that project, viewed in a flagged perspective. The project is not flagged.
Please send us feedback about any perspectives which don't match up with what you expect—that's why they're still experimental! (There's no way to do public beta tests on the iPhone, unfortunately, so we've only been able to test the app with a few people's perspectives so far.)

I just tested, and you're right, it looks like perspectives which have their Flag Filter set to "Flagged" show unflagged parents of flagged items. They're not supposed to do that, it's a bug. (That's an accidental artifact of the way Project mode perspectives work on the Mac, where the perspective has to include the parent of a flagged item or it wouldn't show up within its hierarchy.)

We'll fix it!

Last edited by Ken Case; 2010-01-11 at 06:46 AM..

I don't quite understand how to add the bookmarklet. I mean . . . I know I need to to "install bookmarklet", then go into safari, and delete everything before the word "javascript".

But this is the part I don't understand. Does this mean, everything after "http://", which means "help.omnigroup.com/____?", thus leaving me with:

http://javascript:window . . . . Component(document.title)"

Do I have this correct?

You don't want the http:// bit. It should look like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	javascript.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	1225  

Thanks for the pic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
What do you mean by that, exactly? The perspective support on the iPhone doesn't heed what was collapsed on the Mac, is that what you mean?

Yes, you don't see it in OF for Mac because it is an OF for Mac 1.8 feature :)
I have a perspective that is supposed to only show due soon (24 hours), but I saw on Sunday not only Sunday, but Monday, Friday, several days next week, and then NO DUE DATE.

So, this got to be a bug since I should be seeing overdue items and items that are due within 24 hours.

Another reference to flagged items that I was seeing was just mentioned by Ken Case to be a bug.

As far as your comment about I'm not seeing in OF since I don't have 1.8 doesn't seem to make sense to me. If I'm seeing something that is not supposed to be (the way I designed the perspective), then how can it be a feature of a new version (unless OMNI wants to introduce a bug into a new version intentionally?)

I am seeing the same flagged bug that Ken mentioned, as well as the lack of respect for the "Due Soon" items in any perspective. Since it seems like some people (glances at Whpalmer) are having trouble understanding what the problem is here, it is rather simple. The "Due Soon" mode on the iPhone on the main screen respects the phone's setting for "Due Soon" time being 24hrs. However, if one creates a perspective that includes "Due" this is not respected, and everything is shown. Let know if that is not clear and I will try again...

Everything else (sync time, etc.) is fantastic -- thanks for the hard work devs!!!

I realize the perspectives are experimental, but I was really hoping my "Today" view (which has Due or Flagged stuff on it) would work on the first shot since it isn't hierarchical. Hopefully next time!