The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

on-hold with due date Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I started with omnifocus when it was brand new, switched to Things, and am likely switching back to Omnifocus. With that in mind, here is a question, Things lets me put a number of projects "on deck." That's where get my next actions and that's the guts of my weekly review--moving projects back and forth from in active to active. I like to keep my active projects each week to a small and manageable number.

I thought I'd do that with omnifocus, but there is a catch. In Things, I can move something to "inactive" and give a next action a due date. When the date arrives, the next action moves to "today" even though the project is inactive.

It seems to me that I can't do this in Omnifocus. If I have a project paused and a "next action" under that project with a due date, I don't get reminded of the due date. Do I have this right? Any ideas on how to fix?

I think you might want to try setting a start date on the project and don't set it to on hold or anything. When the start date arrives, the project will become active again.

I agree , I think the main difference between OF and things [actually one of many differences ] is the filters in OF which allow for a customizable powerful task manager . Things is more of a "I don't want to mess with options , so I'll settle for less power " app .. OF can be as powerful or as dumbed-down as you want it to be . Start dates on projects is what you're looking for.

i also agree with the above. i just moved over from Things also.

i have it set up where the planning mode shows REMAINING projects and tasks (which shows all items regardless of start date) and my context mode shows AVAILABLE projects and tasks (which hide projects and tasks which have not yet started.)

so i'll put start dates on these "future" projects in planning mode. when i work off of context mode, they won't show up until their start date.

I have to agree as well.

I tested both Things and OF before sticking with OF and I love how OF is like a great piece of clay that can be molded to your personal specifications and likes.

This has helped me test things out in OF, powerful features that really help present me what's important and needs to be viewed and things that can wait.

Bit by bit I believe each of us building our OF better and better.

With your current situation, I don't set a project on hold, just with a future start date so i'll see it in my "available" perspective when the day comes. This helps me out perfectly so I'm only concerned with things when I need to.