The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Choose Application on start? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Glad it's not just me. I reinstalled build 92482 and am up and running without any issues yet. Ah, life on the bleeding edge :-)

I don't know where or how to find that build. Can someone please direct me to it, in case I am able to calm down enough later in the day to come back to OF? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloro View Post
Glad it's not just me. I reinstalled build 92482 and am up and running without any issues yet. Ah, life on the bleeding edge :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by santra View Post
I am actually going to go do my taxes now because that will be less stressful.

I can't believe I just said that--but it's true.

One of the truths here, though, and it's somewhat of a silver lining: this program is such a great program that I have come to completely rely on it. That is why I am so, so upset with this morning's problems that have made it virtually unusable.

But IMHO a great program is nothing if it won't work.

You are testing alpha software. It will have problems. The stabilty of OF has been remarkable. The fact that there are occasional problems like this is neither remarkable or ridiculous. It is to be expected.

Until they fix this bug, you can use an old version of the program. Go to the sneaky peak download site and pick a version. 92560 works for me, though 92555, which is pre-clipping support, might be a safer bet. Download the old version. Install it as usual for a Mac application. Wait for Omni to post a new build that fixes the problem.

In the meantime, go to OF preferences and enable the option to save backups at twice a day and when quitting.

Curt

I just went back to yesterdays (92560) from here:

http://www.omnigroup.com/application...ad/sneakypeek/

And everything came back fine. I will wait til tomorrow before I allow the autoupdate again :)

I am just glad (thanks omni) that the new build (with the issue) didn't put my data into an bad state. Everything came back great.

Regards,
Richard

Thanks for the version download info!

Yes, I had that backup setting enabled, but since I work in the program every hour of the day (just about), I think I'll start doing manual backups every 10 mins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
You are testing alpha software. It will have problems. The stabilty of OF has been remarkable. The fact that there are occasional problems like this is neither remarkable or ridiculous. It is to be expected.

Until they fix this bug, you can use an old version of the program. Go to the sneaky peak download site and pick a version. 92560 works for me, though 92555, which is pre-clipping support, might be a safer bet. Download the old version. Install it as usual for a Mac application. Wait for Omni to post a new build that fixes the problem.

In the meantime, go to OF preferences and enable the option to save backups at twice a day and when quitting.

This is fixed in build 92565 (just posted).

I canceled out of the prompts for NetNewsWire, etc., and then when OF opened I deselected all those apps in the new Clippings preference pane, which has replaced the late, lamented Web pane.

Thanks for the quick fix, guys!

We may stumble upon some problems here and there, but, boy, testing alpha software *is* fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by santra View Post
Thanks for the version download info!

Yes, I had that backup setting enabled, but since I work in the program every hour of the day (just about), I think I'll start doing manual backups every 10 mins.
Yea, when I wrote my little enhancement program for LifeBalance, it included an auto-saving feature. I kept reducing the size of the interval; now it's finally settled in at "every 5 minutes."

I'll also note that I am aware that there's a difference between "autosave" and "backups." Autosave flushes changes to the primary datastore/file, while backup would create a duplicate or archival copy of the primary datastore.

I'll send in a Feedback with this info as well, but I hope that at some point we get to see an upgraded version of the "Backups" control that looks more like

Save backup every [1 v] [hoursv] (just like the default review time controls in OF preferences are now...)

Also, may I strongly encourage you not to commit the same crime that so many other developers have committed (e.g. Microsoft, Mozilla's team, Intuit, and those for iCash and Moneydance, among many others), by defaulting (at least you let me change it!!) to putting the back up files in the user's Documents folder? From Apple's UI guidelines: "In particular, you should never install files into a user’s Documents directory or into the /Users/Shared directory. These directories should only be modified by the user."

Personally, I gave up trying to keep anything in there just a month or so after switching to OSX in the first place, since so many applications were throwing crap into that folder, but it's still a pet peeve, and I hold you guys to higher standards. Thanks.

Of course, that leaves the question of, "Where do they go?" My first thought was into Application Support, but that isn't really correct either. I think what I'm going to do is take a page from Apple, and save them into "~/Library/Backups/OmniFocus/" in the tradition of "~/Library/Automator", "~/Library/Safari" and especially "~/Library/Cookies"

I think the backups are in Documents for alpha testing. I suspect the plan is to move them out of the way (or even omit them) eventually.

I've been alpha testing OF since June and have only needed to get data out of a backup once in that time, very early in the process. The data has been rock solid for me. Backing up twice a day and on quitting seems more than enough for my peace of mind.

Curt