The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Action Groups Don't Get Marked as Done Automatically Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by minato2 View Post
Have you asked more than the half of all OmniFocus users how they use action groups? No? Then please don't tell me how most people work, because you just don't know it (any more than I do).
This topic has been discussed quite vigorously on the forum since action groups made their debut. There is not a consensus on the issue of whether action groups (or projects, for that matter) should auto-complete upon their last action being marked complete.

I hope that if the behavior changes, it does so in a way that allows those of us who like the current behavior (no forced auto-completion of action groups) to continue to have it. I certainly take advantage of the flexibility that OmniFocus provides in not forcing us to plan out an entire project or action group before starting, and often find that additional actions I could not have predicted when I sketched out the action group come to mind as I review my empty action groups before marking them complete. For some of my action groups (mostly those in repeating projects) I wouldn't mind auto-completion or what has been suggested by others, that the action group name show up in the context list when all the contained actions are complete, but for most of my more substantial projects, I would need the current behavior.
Quote:
Besides: If most of the OS X users would argue that '5 + 5' should return '11' in OS X's calculator (because it better fits the way they work), should Apple then change the way OS X's calculator works?
Maybe you should go google "straw man" ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by minato2 View Post
SpiralOcean, malisa: You're suggesting that she simply forgot to add Ben to the action group when she created the project? But if she didn't think of Ben in the first place, why should she think of him now?

And even if it now in some magical way occured to her that she forgot Ben, how can she be sure that he's the only one she forgot? How many times does she has to ask herself
I think your statement answers the question.

She has to ask herself as many times as it takes until she can complete the action.

She doesn't have to remember. That's the beauty of this system. She just has to try to complete the action. If she can't complete the action, then she asks herself: why can't I complete this action? The answers to that question are the children actions that must be completed before the parent can be completed.

Please don't feed the trolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by vauha27 View Post
Please don't feed the trolls
Agreed:rolleyes:

There are action groups (the proper ones) where the completion of all child actions entails the completion of the whole action group. I don't think anybody would question that the completion of (1.1) - (1.4) entails the completion of (1) in the example above.

However, that's not the case here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralOcean View Post
- (1.1) kill Vernita Green
--(1.1.1) find out where Vernita Green Lives
--(1.1.2) pick up knife from army surplus store
(If it were, 'Kill Bill' wouldn't feature any martial art scenes.)

But why don't you add:

-- (1.1.3') kill Vernita Green (where she lives, with knife from army surplus store)
to (1.1)?

After all, 'to kill Vernita Green' is a single action! (Despite the name of (1.1).)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Maybe you should go google "straw man" ;)
Touché! ;)

i always thought this was a bug. for even if the AG doesn't get checked off automatically: if the project that contains the AG is a sequential one the next action gets available automatically after all child actions of the AG have been completed.

i also think marking off AGs manually isn't very productive. but maybe a setting would make everyone happy.