The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iCal Sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SnowLeopard Exchange iCal Sync Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisll View Post
No it never has worked, but many other apps that I use that sync with iCal can also sync with the calendars from exchange.

In Omnifocus even though in iCal I have 5 Calendars, the only one that Omnificus sees are local calendars. Remote calendars are not available in Omnifocus for syncing.

I do have other apps that sync with iCal that can see all the other calendars and sync with them. (THL, and Things).

I can set you up an exchange account for testing if you all like.

Travis Llewellyn
Hi, I have the same issue that Travis describes above. I'm trying out OmniFocus, and I only see my local calendars under the ical sync preferences screen. Does OmniFocus 1.7.5 sync with Microsoft Exchange calendars?

Thanks,

Mary

Travis did set me up with an Exchange account for testing, and it turns out that the Sync Services API reports that the Exchange calendars are read-only. Unfortunately, the Sync Services API is the only calendar API which is compatible with 10.4, so until we drop 10.4 support (in OmniFocus 2) we can't sync with those Exchange calendars (unless Apple adds support for Sync Services writing them, not just reading them).

Sorry for the bad news!

I had the same problem with Bento and found this link to them adressing the issue in their forums.

http://fmbnto.lithium.com/fmbnto/boa...cending&page=2

Aside from that I cant seem to get any calendars to synch with OF but I'll work on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
Travis did set me up with an Exchange account for testing, and it turns out that the Sync Services API reports that the Exchange calendars are read-only. Unfortunately, the Sync Services API is the only calendar API which is compatible with 10.4, so until we drop 10.4 support (in OmniFocus 2) we can't sync with those Exchange calendars (unless Apple adds support for Sync Services writing them, not just reading them).

Sorry for the bad news!
Thanks for the update Ken! I'm excited to hear when OmniFocus 2 is released. I prefer all of my calendars to remain on Exchange but will create a local calendar as a short-term fix.

Best,

J

Is this a feature that will be implemented at some point? Can you provide an ETA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
Oh, so this used to work in Leopard but doesn't in Snow Leopard? What happens now vs. what used to happen? Do the calendars just no longer appear?
Yes it used to work in Leopard because we used to sync Exchange using Entourage wich created a local calendar in iCal. The ability to synchronize with exchange tasks would allow us to update / receive tasks from Microsoft project directly. Especially now, in 2010 Project server it now talks directly to the exchange server, posting a separate task list for each enterprise project. The ability to sync this with OmniFocus would be a very powerful feature.

Ken just wandered by, so I asked about this. He thinks that the method that worked in Leopard should continue to work; you can sync with a local calendar that an Exchange client creates, in other words.

To the best of our knowledge, Exchange calandars on the server are read-only to us. (According to him, it's either that, or they just don't appear at all when we ask iCal for a list of your calendars on Snow Leopard. It's been a while since he looked at that code, so he couldn't remember exactly.)

I have been using Things, but wanted to try OmniFocus. I like what I see in OF so far, but got stopped dead when I saw that OF could not see my Exchange calendar. (I'm using Snow Leopard, btw. Snow Leopard has been out since August 28, 2009)

That calendar can't be "read only" since Things works just fine with it. Maybe Things is using some kind of AppleEvent hook with iCal. I know it's pretty easy to write an AppleScript that creates iCal events in that Exchange calendar, because I've done it. It's puzzling that OF for Mac can't do something similar to Things.

At this point, the lack of integration with Exchange is a deal killer. The promise of Version 2.0 is nice, but we've been waiting a long time already.

I'd like to add my voice to the chorus of people looking for integration with Exchange. I just bought a family license so that my husband could also use OF but it's a deal breaker for him as well that he can't see his appointments in Exchange, which is critical for his work. Can we have an update on this situation? I don't see any response to the points raised by Broz above.

Thank you.

Hi,

Is there any news on this?
thanks

Nick