The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 4 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Split row at cursor does not work properly! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Perhaps there's a setting I've overlooked (and believe me, I've searched for one...), but the split row at cursor function is totally broken, at least for my usage.

I import quite a bit of text from PDF files, and set them up in an outline format for annotation and note-taking purposes. In OOP3, I would Ctrl-click anywhere within a row, and it would "split" the row at that point, placing the text after the "split" in the very next row of the same level immediately following. Elegant functionality.

Not so with OO4. When I split the row, either with Ctrl-click or with Return when I've checked off the box in Preferences, the new row of text after the split goes ALL THE WAY TO THE BOTTOM, that is, after the last row of the same level. Needless to say, this sucks, as it will scramble the sequence of my text as I continue to split rows.

What is happening in OO4 is not a split, but a "cut the contents of current row after the cursor, create a new level at the end of the current level hierarchy, and paste there." What I want is what we traditionally (à la OOP3) call a split: "cut the contents of the current row after the cursor, create a new row of the same hierarchy immediately after the current row, and paste the contents there."

How do I get the same functionality as OOP3, where I'd split a row and it would end up IMMEDIATELY AFTER the row split?

I'm attaching an outline I've produced, and have worked with to no end, and I can't get the d*mned thing to split into a row immediately following the row I've split. Try to split the first (or second) Level 2 row anywhere, and it will automatically create a new row AT THE VERY END of the hierarchy.

I'm being forced to use OOP3 to import and split, and OO4 to work with my outlines. Please don't tell me splitting rows is going to be like this in OO4, because I'll have to find another product.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Split Row Hell.oo3.zip (2.7 KB, 422 views)

That would be a bug. We'll be getting that fixed before release. Sorry!

I noticed the same irritating behaviour when splitting rows with the current build. I moved back to using OO3 for the time being.