The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iPhone 4 and iOS4 lose auto-sync? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Auto-sync over Bonjour worked perfectly on my iPhone 2G for over a year. Make a change in OF on my Mac, and a few seconds later I'd see OF automatically update on my iPhone.

Not anymore. What happened? To get any change to sync over to my iPhone 4, I have to press the sync icon in OF on my iPhone, or relaunch OF on my iPhone.

And I'm not talking about trying to pull this off in the background. I have OF runnning right up on the screen on my iPhone 4, front and center, I'm not touching it, not switching it to any other app, and the iPhone is staying permanently turned on, in the cradle.

No auto-sync.

Same thing on the itouch 3rd generation running the official update of iOS4, I loose the sync setting and have to reboot the ipod, its very annoying indeed, I hope a hot fix release is sent out soon to ameliorate this situation

Hey all. We're investigating a problem with iOS 4 that apparently causes OmniFocus to lose the Network settings — (or, perhaps more accurate, never forget them.)

In the meantime, the solution we've found is to relaunch OmniFocus to get new settings.

I am seeing issues on iOS 4 as well (running on a 3GS). As others are noting, syncing seems to be having real trouble under iOS4. It appears that because the application is in the "background" it never processes a sync during startup. Additionally, the database is only optimized if I force OmniFocus to quit and then I restart OmniFocus. Perhaps that's another issue to be addressed? Lastly, OmniFocus doesn't seem to sync when I close it, also possibly related to OF moving into the "background" instead of actually closing?

Last edited by ifonline; 2010-07-02 at 06:09 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
I am seeing issues on iOS 4 as well (running on a 3GS). As others are noting, syncing seems to be having real trouble under iOS4. It appears that because the application is in the "background" it never processes a sync during startup. Additionally, the database is only optimized if I force OmniFocus to quit and then I restart OmniFocus. Perhaps that's another issue to be addressed? Lastly, OmniFocus doesn't seem to sync when I close it, also possibly related to OF moving into the "background" instead of actually closing?
OF(iPhone) has never done a sync on exit. The database optimization doesn't need to happen again if the app hasn't quit, either.

My mistake. I assumed that because syncing on exit (1) happens on the desktop version and (2) makes sense, that it would happen on the iPhone version.

So I'm clear... when I add/edit something on the iPhone, I have to specifically press the sync button or the desktop will never see the changes? Seems a bit counter-productive.

Plus, "database optimization doesn't need to happen again if the app hasn't quit" may be true, but on iOS 4, it appears that the app never quits. Therefore, optimization will never happen, which would not be a good thing.

Quote:
My mistake. I assumed that because syncing on exit (1) happens on the desktop version and (2) makes sense, that it would happen on the iPhone version.
iOS apps are not allowed the luxury of a leisurely exit when the button is pressed. They are supposed to save their state and quit immediately, prior to iOS 4 (or in iOS 4 with less capable hardware).
Quote:
So I'm clear... when I add/edit something on the iPhone, I have to specifically press the sync button or the desktop will never see the changes? Seems a bit counter-productive.
No, OmniFocus is supposed to automatically sync 1 minute after you make a change to the database, if you've got auto-sync turned on. Judging from Derek's post, there may be some issues with iOS4 that need sorting out before it works that way reliably.
Quote:
Plus, "database optimization doesn't need to happen again if the app hasn't quit" may be true, but on iOS 4, it appears that the app never quits. Therefore, optimization will never happen, which would not be a good thing.
No, it would happen when you first launch the app after restarting the device. If iOS 4 never needs to terminate OmniFocus, no further optimization would be needed. If the optimization is something that needs to happen periodically whether or not the application has been terminated, there would be code in there to do it already -- they can't very well assume that you only run the app for a few minutes at a time!

Remember, if there's any doubt, you can always tap the Sync button and force another sync. Not a bad habit to cultivate, in my opinion, as it means you've gotten an off-device backup of that important change you just made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekr View Post
Hey all. We're investigating a problem with iOS 4 that apparently causes OmniFocus to lose the Network settings — (or, perhaps more accurate, never forget them.)

In the meantime, the solution we've found is to relaunch OmniFocus to get new settings.
Heh*—*just realized I chose two polar opposites. To be a bit more clear, it seems that it's more likely they're not being updated properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
iOS apps are not allowed the luxury of a leisurely exit when the button is pressed. They are supposed to save their state and quit immediately, prior to iOS 4 (or in iOS 4 with less capable hardware).
But for iOS capable devices, there is no reason that OF can't initiate a sync and move into the background.

Quote:
No, OmniFocus is supposed to automatically sync 1 minute after you make a change to the database, if you've got auto-sync turned on. Judging from Derek's post, there may be some issues with iOS4 that need sorting out before it works that way reliably.
Sure, but what if I close OF before that one minute window is up? Again, if OF initiated a sync and went into the background, this wouldn't be an issue.

Quote:
No, it would happen when you first launch the app after restarting the device. If iOS 4 never needs to terminate OmniFocus, no further optimization would be needed. If the optimization is something that needs to happen periodically whether or not the application has been terminated, there would be code in there to do it already -- they can't very well assume that you only run the app for a few minutes at a time!
But if OF never really quits on iOS 4, then the optimization will never, ever happen. That's not good.

Quote:
Remember, if there's any doubt, you can always tap the Sync button and force another sync. Not a bad habit to cultivate, in my opinion, as it means you've gotten an off-device backup of that important change you just made.
Sure I can. And that's what I do now. But why not implement something better?

Quote:
But for iOS capable devices, there is no reason that OF can't initiate a sync and move into the background.

Sure, but what if I close OF before that one minute window is up? Again, if OF initiated a sync and went into the background, this wouldn't be an issue.
You're taking it for granted that there is no reason why OF can't go run a sync in the background. I'm not. Just because Omni has done some code to provide iOS 4 support doesn't mean they've done everything possible.

Quote:
But if OF never really quits on iOS 4, then the optimization will never, ever happen. That's not good.
Again, it happens when it launches. If it is only launched once, it only needs to happen once, or there would already be code to do it periodically, because this would already have been an issue.