The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Action Due time? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

Is there a way to not have an action have a due time?

Thanks.

No.

If a task has no due time, but is due today, when is it marked overdue, if not completed? Are you looking for different behavior, or easier data entry?

In the due column, you can type tomorrow 5 pm.

If the time reaches tomorrow, 5 pm, then the task will show up as overdue.

If no time is specified, the task defaults to 12 am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonng View Post
If no time is specified, the task defaults to 12 am.
I believe it will default to the due time set in Preferences>Data>Default Time for Due Dates.

To the OP-you can set the due time to 11:59 PM, which means that tasks are not considered overdue until the next day (12:00 AM).

Thanks for this. I guess I just did want any type of alarm going off at a certain time. I don't know the program well enough to know if I have a way to control that vs. just having the action show as overdue.

Chris

Hi,

So I understand the need to have a time in order for an action to become "overdue." But is there a way to set up a time an action is due so I can act on it vs. setting up a date (but no time) an action is due (and if the date passes, the action is overdue)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris182 View Post
(and if the date passes, the action is overdue)?
When exactly does the date 'pass' ?

At the stroke of midnight ? (That is certainly the conventional view … )

If so, a time component of zero (midnight) is probably what you are really thinking about – either midnight at the start of a given day or midnight at the end of that day, in which case you can just bump up the date by one day … (or use a time component of 23h and 59m)

(The underlying data in the OF database is a unix datetime field, in which the time component can be set to zero, but can not in any way be persuaded into non-existence – it's simply a number of seconds elapsed since the stroke of midnight which marked the start of January 1 2001 i.e. around 366883200 at the time of writing …)

This may give a sense of what lurks under the hood, and why there are no 'timeless' dates in this system.

Code:
#!/bin/sh
#OFOC=$(osascript -e 'tell application "Finder" to get id of application file id "OFOC"')
OFOC="com.omnigroup.OmniFocus" # For Appstore-purchased variant use (slower) line above instead
OFQUERY="sqlite3 $HOME/Library/Caches/$OFOC/OmniFocusDatabase2"
NOW=$($OFQUERY "SELECT (strftime('%s','now','localtime'))")
YEARZERO=$($OFQUERY "SELECT strftime('%s','2001-01-01')")
echo $(($NOW-$YEARZERO))
From which, where I am, I just got 366883620 seconds.

--

Last edited by RobTrew; 2012-08-16 at 11:09 PM..

Thanks for the information.
But I am looking for the option to set/not set a due time (and thus an alarm) for a an action, especially in iOS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris182 View Post
Thanks for the information.
But I am looking for the option to set/not set a due time (and thus an alarm) for a an action, especially in iOS.
There is none.