The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Better way for flagging actions? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've been wanting to bring this up ever since I started to use both iPhone and iPad versions of Omnifocus (of course, have always been using the Mac version too!)

In Mac version, we can easily flag actions by clicking on the flag icon in the action row. I love that. It's how it's done anyway.

But in the mobile versions, not only it isn't straightforward, it is also inconsistent between iPhone and iPad version as well. I can understand both apps were probably built by different developers, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't hurt to at least try to keep the same ways of getting certain things done.

In iPhone version, to flag an action, we first tap to view the details, scroll down, then tap On or Off in the flag field.

Likewise in iPad version, we go into details, but instead of On or Off, we see Flagged or Unflagged. Yes I know it's color coded, but honestly, it took me a while to get used to it.

If it was up to me, I would prefer neither, and happily stick to the Mac method, that shows only just the flag icon, which shows up in orange color when it is flagged, or grey when it isn't.

Another thing, back to both iPhone and iPad versions again, in actions list, when we swipe our finger in given row, the "delete" button comes up. This got me thinking: how often do people need to delete an action anyway? As far as I know, we either complete an action by tapping the checkbox, or we flag it for attention. It is under rare circumstances we will say: "oh, how did this action get in here? Looks like I don't need it after all!"

I hope Omnigroup will take this as constructive suggestion. Be rest assured I'm a big Omnifocus fan, it's just that I rely on them too much till the frustration became more and more felt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flagging.png
Views:	779
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	1959  

Last edited by deanloh; 2011-07-06 at 06:40 PM..

I find the Delete action swipe is very useful to clear out completed actions or remove those occasional actions that are to be deleted. As to the flagging issues, recognize that each platform has its own pros, cons, and standards in terms of how input controls should or can be arranged. An on/off switch is a standard iPod way of handling on/off type controls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanloh View Post
Another thing, back to both iPhone and iPad versions again, in actions list, when we swipe our finger in given row, the "delete" button comes up. This got me thinking: how often do people need to delete an action anyway? As far as I know, we either complete an action by tapping the checkbox, or we flag it for attention. It is under rare circumstances we will say: "oh, how did this action get in here? Looks like I don't need it after all!"
I agree that I don't delete a lot of tasks, but think that there has to be a certain amount of consistency with the IOS standards.

It would be interesting to know if there's a defined action for swiping right to left as oppose to left to right. and if not why not Apple ;-)

Left to right could be delete, right to left, favourite.

I agree, that got to be an easier way to flag an action. For example in Forecast mode (on iPad and iPhone), you can see the "Flag" on the right margin. It is either "lighten" up if it is flagged, or a bit "greyed" out if it is not flagged. I believe folks may intuitively click on the Flag icon to toggle it on and off.

This is the one thing that keeps me from using OF. I want to be able to run through the tasks and flag certain task to do NOW.

It's way too fussy to have to open each one individually, then close back out.

Even the simplest task manager on the iPhone, usually have some kind of "star" or "highlight" button next to each task--tap, tap, tap--the list is selected!

If absolute minimization of the number of taps is your most important metric, a better workflow would be to select an action, do it, mark complete (only 1 tap), repeat.

If what you review is in the same project/context/perspective, you can go "in" an action, and then navigate through the list while staying "in" the actions by using the arrows in the upper right corner.

Typically I start at the top of the list and review the action, flag as needed, then "down arrow" through the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanloh View Post
I've been wanting to bring this up ever since I started to use both iPhone and iPad versions of Omnifocus (of course, have always been using the Mac version too!)

In Mac version, we can easily flag actions by clicking on the flag icon in the action row. I love that. It's how it's done anyway.

But in the mobile versions, not only it isn't straightforward, it is also inconsistent between iPhone and iPad version as well. I can understand both apps were probably built by different developers, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't hurt to at least try to keep the same ways of getting certain things done.

In iPhone version, to flag an action, we first tap to view the details, scroll down, then tap On or Off in the flag field.

Likewise in iPad version, we go into details, but instead of On or Off, we see Flagged or Unflagged. Yes I know it's color coded, but honestly, it took me a while to get used to it.
I've been thinking about this as I start to use flags. I would love to see a swipe left gesture used to flag or unflag something on the iPhone. That way you could easily scan a list and set or remove the flags without losing your train of thought.