The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Why does "tell OF to activate" error? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
OK, have just joined the clan, and licensed the copy of OF 1.0.3 that I've trialled for the past week.

As with most of the apps in which I spend significant amounts of time, I've made a very short applescript to launch the app/or bring it to the foreground. I then fire this script with a keyboard shortcut from FastScripts.

With every other app that I've tried, the one-line script as follows, has worked just fine. But, when I fire the following:

tell application "OmniFocus" to activate

I receive this error...

"Error number: -1701. Message: OmniFocus got an error: Some parameter is missing for activate."

This should be the simplest possible Applescript. Any ideas?

Al

That's a recurring bug that disappears whenever I try to reproduce it. (Sometimes developers call these Heisen-bugs. Lame quantum physics joke.)

You might try making a new script with the code:
Code:
tell application "OmniFocus"
	activate
end tell
There's a thread on the forum about the bug with some possible workarounds. IIRC, merely creating a new script in Script Editor and copying the text of an old, broken script into the new script was sufficient to make the problem disappear. Truly bizarre.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
That's a recurring bug that disappears whenever I try to reproduce it. (Sometimes developers call these Heisen-bugs. Lame quantum physics joke.)

You might try making a new script with the code:
Code:
	activate
end tell
There's a thread on the forum about the bug with some possible workarounds. IIRC, merely creating a new script in Script Editor and copying the text of an old, broken script into the new script was sufficient to make the problem disappear. Truly bizarre.
Thanks Curt - yes, truly bizarre! Sadly, the quick and dirty fix suggested above doesn't, in this case, seem to help. Still seeing the same error message presented. Do you know, by any chance if this is still evident in v1.1 (I'll be upgrading once v1.1 is formally released, or I succumb to iPhone lust - whichever occurs first!)

I'll go looking for that previous thread...

Al

I haven't seen the bug in 8 or 9 months, and certainly not in 1.1. But given the strangeness of the bug, I wouldn't say that its been squashed. Perhaps just hiding under a rock somewhere.

You might try zipping up your script and emailing it to Omni (Help --> Send Feedback) to see if the support ninjas can duplicate the bug.

Curt

hey albyrne

did you find out something with the support ninjas?

or did anybody else find out something helpful about this probem?

simon

Hi folks,

I have to say that my real life has prevented getting to this. Have been busy finishing reading Mr Allen's 'bible', in preparation for next week's planned delivery of a bouncing white baby iPhone, weighing in at 16gb....

Al

Glory, glory, glory! As of tonight, the mystery is solved!

Browsing the forums here, I found the thread about "OmniFocus URL Support" located here , and tried this script myself...

Code:
property target_URL : "omnifocus:"
open location target_URL
And, it does EXACTLY what I was looking for: using FastScripts - I now have a keyboard shortcut that launches OmniFocus, if it's not already running, or, if running, brings it to the foreground.

Now, back to our usually scheduled programming...

Al

I've been having this same trouble using an Applescript in Automator. I've tried all the suggestions here and on the old threads.

Latest is this:

Quote:
on run {input, parameters}

activate
end tell

return input
end run
Still getting:

Syntax Error
OmniFocus got an error: Some parameter is missing for activate.

Any further suggestions? I have not tried the URL Support thing on this thread. Will do that now, but shouldn't plain old "activate" work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshfree View Post
I've been having this same trouble using an Applescript in Automator. I've tried all the suggestions here and on the old threads.

Latest is this:

Still getting:

Syntax Error
OmniFocus got an error: Some parameter is missing for activate.

Any further suggestions? I have not tried the URL Support thing on this thread. Will do that now, but shouldn't plain old "activate" work?
Ahhh - yes - that's exactly my point.

Plain old 'activate' should work, without error. It does not.

I have found a solution that fixes my problem. Try it - perhaps the "...URL Support thing..." will fix your problem also.

Good luck.

A