The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Flagged Mail added to OmniFocus? Possible? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi there,

I have Omnifocus and also mailtags but I wonder if it is possible to have an action or something to add all my flagged(in Mail) mails to OmniFocus? And how?

Thanks / M

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobba View Post
Hi there,

I have Omnifocus and also mailtags but I wonder if it is possible to have an action or something to add all my flagged(in Mail) mails to OmniFocus? And how?
Are you looking for something that will go through your mailbox and find each and every flagged message and add it to OmniFocus as an empty action with a link to the email in the notes? What do you want to happen if a message has already been handled this way in the past? Or do you want something that is going to add the message to OmniFocus automatically whenever you flag a message?

If it is a relatively small number of messages, you could just select them one by one in Mail and use the OmniFocus clipping service to get them. Search for "clipping material" in the OmniFocus help command (Help->OmniWeb Help) for the details. Be aware that clipping a bunch of emails with large attachments is a good way to get a very large OmniFocus database, because the message will be copied and stored in the database, rather than a link to it.

Thanks for the reply!

I am not so much concern with the past flagged messages. But I want(if possible) a message to be added to Omnifocus whenever I flag a message in Mail automatically..Can this be done somehow do you think?

Well, I'm not sure what the difference here would be between flagging a message and using CTRL+SPACEBAR (or whatever your clipping shortcut is set to) to capture messages into OmniFocus.

I suppose it saves you a keystroke in the event that you want to do both (ie, SHIFT+CMD+L to flag and then CTRL+SPACEBAR to capture), but that doesn't seem like too much of an imposition.

Note that if a message is flagged in Mail, it will create a flagged action in OmniFocus as well, so the order of operations is important.

Further, if you're capturing your messages into OmniFocus, you may not actually need to flag them in the first place. OF maintains a link back to your messages in Mail app, which you can click to get back to the original message.

If you wanted to do both with a single keystroke, you could get Mail Act-on and just create a rule that flags the selected message and then calls an Applescript to create an OmniFocus task from that message. There's a good Applescript out there that can do this for you, but it's been largely deprecated by OF's own clipping capabilities, so it's no longer being actively maintained.