The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

customise "Due Soon" Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I didn't realise how powerful and helpful OF is until I bought the iPhone app days ago. However, I am frustrated by the fact that I cannot define the "Due Soon" by myself. The longest time for an action to go into "due soon" is 7 days, which is not enough for some actions. I know I can set up the start time, but even the action starts, it won't be shown in the Menubar, and doesn't not get enough attention from me -- I often ignore it. I don't realise it's almost due until it's 7 days away from the due date, and 7 days may not be enough for some actions, say, paper submission to a journal.

Is there a way to customise the no. of days apart from selecting from choices in the application? Please help. thanks.

I don't know of a way to set a longer "due soon" interval than 7 days, but I haven't tried particularly hard to find one—I like it set at 1 day!

Make yourself a context mode perspective grouping by due, sorting by due, availability remaining, status filter any status, estimated time filter any duration. Display the due date column. Close any groups that are too far out, and save the perspective, making sure the Restore expansion box is ticked. Now you can see what you have coming up regardless of the "due soon" setting, and things won't disappear from view just because they are overdue!

There's no way to customize the number of due soon days beyond what is available in the Preferences, but you can always submit a feature request for this to the Ninjas.

Personally, I address this with a change to my workflow. If a task takes a week or more to complete, then I look to see if the task should be broken down in to smaller, sub-sets of the task. Using a journal submission as example, that is a project for me. I break the steps out for research, 1st, 2nd draft, peer review, final edits, etc. and stage the tasks accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
I don't know of a way to set a longer "due soon" interval than 7 days, but I haven't tried particularly hard to find one—I like it set at 1 day!

Make yourself a context mode perspective grouping by due, sorting by due, availability remaining, status filter any status, estimated time filter any duration. Display the due date column. Close any groups that are too far out, and save the perspective, making sure the Restore expansion box is ticked. Now you can see what you have coming up regardless of the "due soon" setting, and things won't disappear from view just because they are overdue!

Many thanks. I love the number of Due Soon and Overdue in the Menu Bar as it always remind me of things to do, that's why I would prefer OF to be more customisable (allow users to self-define when an action goes into the Due Soon). It seems in the current version, I cannot realise my dream. I hope in the future I can.

However, your reply is very helpful. I followed your suggestion and OF is much more powerful and useful to me. Thanks a lot!

Glad that helped. I've always got stuff due soon, so I don't use the menu bar numbers :-)

For better control of the due soon setting, use Help->Send Feedback to make a request that will go into the development database.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Jones View Post
There's no way to customize the number of due soon days beyond what is available in the Preferences, but you can always submit a feature request for this to the Ninjas.
Well, good advice I think, but experiment has a way of revealing a slightly more complex picture than we expect :-)

Here I have my 'Due Soon' interval set to 11 days:

It does confuse the preferences dialog (which doesn't immediately update, and then displays a blank after OmniFocus has quit and reopened, if the setting is outside the range that the dialog knows about):

Otherwise due soon intervals beyond 7 days do appear to work well as long as you are only using OmniFocus for Mac.

The problem seems to arise in syncing with iOS devices. I am finding that even if I have the interval set to 11 days on the Mac, only the next five days are flagged as Due Soon on a synced iPhone.

Depending on how you define a bug, perhaps this could be called one - the Applescript interface allows the setting of arbitrary Due Soon Intervals, but the resulting settings fail to sync ...

Anyway, FWIW here is the code of a script which will allow you to specifiy longer (and fractional) settings for "Due Soon is in the next N days", but only on the Mac version of OF.

[UPDATE: subsequent discussion in this thread suggests that syncing to other devices works fine as long as you quit and restart OmniFocus after a scripted change to the DueSoonInterval setting - the script has been updated both below and in the zip, so that it now explains this, and offers to quit and restart OmniFocus for you.
In short, it does already seem to be possible to have a Due Soon interval longer than 7 days, and to work with this setting across different devices]

Code:
property pVer : "0.2"
property pTitle : "Experiment with Setting Due Soon Interval" & tab & pVer

-- NOTE THAT ANY SETTING MADE WITH THIS SCRIPT WILL NOT:
-- 	1. BE REFLECTED IN THE OF PREFERENCES DIALOG
--	2. BE SYNCED TO OTHER DEVICES
--	UNTIL OMNIFOCUS HAS QUIT AND BEEN RESTARTED

-- 	THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS 
-- 	"AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, 
-- 	THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. 
-- 	IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR 
-- 	ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES
-- 	 (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; 
-- 	 LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, 
-- 	 WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) 
-- 	 ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

-- GET THE EXISTING DUE SOON INTERVAL SETTING
tell application id "com.omnigroup.omnifocus"
	tell default document
		set refSetting to a reference to setting id "DueSoonInterval"
		set strCurrentDays to ((value of refSetting) / days) as string
	end tell
end tell

-- INVITE THE USER TO CHOOSE A NEW NUMBER OF DAYS
set blnSet to false
repeat while blnSet is false
	set varDays to display dialog "Enter number of days" default answer strCurrentDays with title pTitle
	try
		set rDays to ((text returned of varDays) as real)
		set blnSet to true
	on error strMsg
		display dialog strMsg buttons {"OK"} with title pTitle
	end try
end repeat

-- APPLY THE NEW SETTING AND REPORT THE RESULT
	tell default document
		set (value of refSetting) to (rDays * days as real)
		set rSetting to (value of (setting id "DueSoonInterval"))
	end tell
end tell

set varResponse to display dialog ("New setting: " & (rSetting / days) as string) & " days

NOTE: The new setting will not sync correctly,
or be updated in the Preferences dialog,
until you have quit and restarted OmniFocus" buttons {"Esc", "Quit & restart Omnifocus"} cancel button "Esc" with title pTitle

-- IF REQUESTED BY USER, QUIT AND RESTART OMNIFOCUS
tell application id "com.omnigroup.omnifocus" to quit
tell application id "com.apple.systemevents"
	repeat with i from 1 to 10
		set lngApp to count of (application processes where name = "OmniFocus")
		if lngApp < 1 then exit repeat
		do shell script ("sleep 1")
	end repeat
end tell

if lngApp < 1 then do shell script "open -a OmniFocus"

Last edited by RobTrew; 2011-07-05 at 07:46 AM..

I did file a bug report:

SCRIPTED "DUE SOON" INTERVAL SETTINGS WORK IN OMNIFOCUS FOR MAC, BUT FAIL TO SYNC CORRECTLY

See the post at http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost...79&postcount=6

The applescript library allows us to set arbitrary Due Soon intervals (including intervals beyond 7 days) and the GUI immediately responds correctly to the new settings (changing font coloring, badge counts, and the actions listed under the Due Soon filter)

BUT
  1. The Preferences dialog for the new settings fails to update accordingly. (Though after a Quit and re open of OmniFocus.app, the preferences dialog will show a blank if the new setting is above 7 days).
  2. The new settings are NOT properly synced to other devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTrew View Post
Well, good advice I think, but experiment has a way of revealing a slightly more complex picture than we expect :-)

Here I have my 'Due Soon' interval set to 11 days:

It does confuse the preferences dialog (which doesn't immediately update, and then displays a blank after OmniFocus has quit and reopened, if the setting is outside the range that the dialog knows about):

Otherwise due soon intervals beyond 7 days do appear to work well as long as you are only using OmniFocus for Mac.

The problem seems to arise in syncing with iOS devices. I am finding that even if I have the interval set to 11 days on the Mac, only the next five days are flagged as Due Soon on a synced iPhone.

Depending on how you define a bug, perhaps this could be called one - the Applescript interface allows the setting of arbitrary Due Soon Intervals, but the resulting settings fail to sync ...

Anyway, FWIW here is the code of a script which will allow you to specifiy longer (and fractional) settings for "Due Soon is in the next N days", but only on the Mac version of OF.

(The change will not immediately show up in the preferences dialog, but it will immediately change the distribution of red and orange 'due' and 'due soon' badges and font colors, and the list of actions shown by the Due Soon filter)

Code:
property pTitle : "Set Due Soon Interval"

-- GET THE EXISTING DUE SOON INTERVAL SETTING
	tell default document
		set strCurrentDays to ((value of refSetting) / days) as string
	end tell
end tell

-- INVITE THE USER TO CHOOSE A NEW NUMBER OF DAYS
set blnSet to false
repeat while blnSet is false
	set varDays to display dialog "Enter number of days" default answer strCurrentDays with title pTitle
	try
		set rDays to ((text returned of varDays) as real)
		set blnSet to true
	on error strMsg
		display dialog strMsg buttons {"OK"} with title pTitle
	end try
end repeat

-- APPLY THE NEW SETTING AND REPORT THE RESULT
	tell default document
		set (value of refSetting) to (rDays * days as real)
		set rSetting to (value of (setting id "DueSoonInterval"))
	end tell
end tell

display dialog ("New setting: " & (rSetting / days) as string) & " days" buttons ("OK") with title pTitle
Wow, amazing...Millions of thanks~

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTrew View Post
I did file a bug report:

SCRIPTED "DUE SOON" INTERVAL SETTINGS WORK IN OMNIFOCUS FOR MAC, BUT FAIL TO SYNC CORRECTLY

See the post at http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost...79&postcount=6

The applescript library allows us to set arbitrary Due Soon intervals (including intervals beyond 7 days) and the GUI immediately responds correctly to the new settings (changing font coloring, badge counts, and the actions listed under the Due Soon filter)

BUT
  1. The Preferences dialog for the new settings fails to update accordingly. (Though after a Quit and re open of OmniFocus.app, the preferences dialog will show a blank if the new setting is above 7 days).
  2. The new settings are NOT properly synced to other devices.
It worked perfect in my iphone. badge counts updated immediately after sync with my Mac which is modified with your script. Thanks again.

I suddenly realise the badge count in my menu bar displays only those overdue actions, and actions due soon are not counted. What's the problem? In the preferences, it says very clear that "show Due Soon and Over Due actions..."

I am sure this has nothing to do with RobTrew's script, as the problem exists before I apply his script. Anyone can help? Many thanks.