The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 4 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

File format Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have used Omnioutliner extensively in my work setting. We have recently adopted Box.net. I have encountered a problem with syncing OO3 files (folder wrappers). This apparently is a known issue.

I understood that OO4 would move away from this file format. I hope so. I use Mindnode Pro. It has some overlapping functionality with OO3. It does not save files as folder wrappers and they sync properly.

What is the plan for file formats in OO4?

I too am interested in the answer to this.

I use Evernote to store my files and the premium subscription searches within attached files. However, .oo3 files have to be zipped to be stored because they are actually OS X packages and therefore become unsearchable.

Will Omni be changing the format from an .oo3 package to something that is not a package and be more versatile to different synchronisation solutions?

If you change the extension of the attached .txt file to .oo3 you will find that you can open it with OmniOutliner, and go one saving it as a flat text (XML) file until you attach a file to one of its notes, make a recording, or do anything else which involves any additional file for which there is no alternative but to be held in a package folder.

At that point it will revert to the default (which is unlikely to change) of a folder containing a contexts.xml text file, plus any additional files that are sailing with it.

PS working with text files like this involves unchecking Inspectors > Document > Compress on Disk, which can be set as a default for your working template(s).

(OO3 XML files, can, of course, be generated programmatically).

--
Attached Files
File Type: txt Flattened.txt (5.9 KB, 773 views)

(For most outlining purposes, however, I have personally made the transition to MarkDown text files using the indenting and tagging conventions of FoldingText - obviously that approach won't work for you if you need things like rich formatting, voice recordings, and embedded files)

It would be too much hassle to do that each time. The problem with package files is in their portability. If I was only working with omnipresence and OO for ios OO would be fine. But I need a repository of documents and I need the contents searchable. I've chosen Evernote for my repository and am really happy with it.

I'm hoping Omni have changed the format for 4 as they did mention that some time ago. The Beta version is obviously oo3, but that is still beta.

I'm a markdown fan and like folding text, but need ios compatability as my notes are used for preaching/teaching.

I'm quite curious as to whether the file format will be the same. Currently the (public) beta version of OmniOutliner4 still uses the same .oo3 format.