The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Switch and patch panel wiring Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi

Apologies if this has been answered...I have an urgent question.

In the past I have used Visio to document my network. In visio i created a 24 port switch with patch leads connecting to other switches from a port etc.to a port on another switch or a wallport outlet in the comms cabinet. I used connectors to represent patch leads to show which port is connected to another device or switch etc. If i dragged the switch to re-position then it maintained the connectors/cables.

I am due to purchase an iPad and use it to document my networks. I stumbled upon Omnigraffle and I wondered if it can do what I want to that detail.
I am also getting a Mac Book Pro as my laptop. It would be nice to sync to it.
Would I need to buy 2 applications or just the one for ipad?

(I am new to Macs so I have a learning curve to get over)

If anyone can offer answers or suggestions then I will appreciate it

Thank you

I use OG occasionally to draw some relatively simple electronic circuits. It works acceptably, both with the Mac and the iPad version (for the last one you can simply download the appropriate stencils from graffletopia).
In your usage scenario, however, I see a potential problem which I have not been able to solve up to now: if you have to draw a switch with 24 ports on it, you need 24 magnets to have the connectors correctly positioned, and I do not know if it is possible. Just two or three days ago I designed the basic shape of a 16-pin IC, but I could not find a way to create a magnet for each pin.
I hope someone else will chime in here, because my last circuit is still waiting to be drawn in OG... :-(

UPDATE: a bit of forum searching seems to show that manual adding of magnets should be possible using the magnet tool. I'll try that out as soon as I can, and let you know

Last edited by vegaz; 2011-10-12 at 02:36 AM..

Hi Vegaz!

Thanks for taking time to reply....I appreciate it.
I look forward to see how your experiment with the 'manual magnets' turns out.

calapso.

OK, here I am...
I tried and it works. I made a stencil with some basic IC designs, with a magnet on every pin of the chip. The magnet tool on the iPad does not seem to have the same flexibility though, so I used the Mac version of OG to create it.
I'm attaching a part of the stencil as an example.
I could post it on Graffletopia if someone is interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IC stencil.png
Views:	625
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	2050