The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BUG: inspector windows changes WRONGLY years Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

I have problems with Inspector changing wrongly dates.

Procedure:
1. select task
2. open inspector (shift+cmd+i)
3. enter date "22 june"
4. press TAB
5. date changes to "Jun 22, 2000 000"

This problem is PROBABLY connected to the fact that I use not standard short time layout (set in system preferences, language and texts) BECAUSE the year changes to 2000 if hour was 0:00 and year changes to 1700 if hour was 17:00. I dont use ":" as a separator between hour and minutes. in fact there is no separator at all, and this results in error made by omnifocus. Please in mind that I DID NOT enter time during using inspector. Only "22 jun" was entered to empty field, so all wrongly date assumption was made by omnifocus.

I attached two images:
1. inspector after TAB, after Omnifocus WRONGLY changed years
2. my current time settings

Currently this BUG causes INABILITY to set START/DUE dates at all :-(((
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2010-06-21 at 13.08.53 .png
Views:	858
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	1455   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2010-06-21 at 13.09.03 .png
Views:	853
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	1456  

Not at my Mac, so can't easily try this, but what happens if you type in your dates using a longer format? Say "22 June 2010" or "22/6/10"?

Also, do you know that you can specify dates such as "+1d" (tomorrow), "+2w" (2 weeks from today), etc.?

Be sure to send in an official bug report with Help->Send Feedback or email omnifocus@omnigroup.com — forum posts aren't necessarily seen by the right people.

it persists even after. because this bug manifests in a following scenario (this is my hypothesis):
1. you put date without hour (in any format)
2. you press tab
3. OF adds default time (being 00:00 or 17:00)
BUT DUE to fact that my system preferences use time without colon (0000 or 1700) problem arises
4. new date and time (complete) does not contain colon in time, and is parsed once again by OF with error, because datetime string parsing in OF has bug when there is no colon in it

Thats my hypothesis.

You can check it yourself just by setting in system preferences time settings as I showed in my screenshot. Bear in mind that OF restart is required.

Have you tried entering dates into the date columns?
menu bar -> view -> columns -> start date & end date?

If you have those visible, and are entering an actions title, you can press the tab key to go to the start and end date fields.

Using just date columns, works fine. Thank for the hint.

It should work for me for now, and I think it confirms that the original bug lies in time parsing routine.

Thnx!

Glad the hint worked for you.

It's interesting that the inspector is behaving differently. I would assume they both are using the same parsing object?

In term what I enter Yes. they re parsing the same object, but in terms what is really being parsed no.

because inspector, even if I enter ONLY date, adds afterwards (but before final/errorneous parsing) time to it. Parsing time HHMM without colon between HH and MM causes problem.

Ahh... I think I understand better.

Personally, I don't like using the colon for time either. Times are difficult to enter using the number pad, because there isn't any colon on the number pad.

I wouldn't mind hitting a decimal for a min:sec separator, because it is on the number pad. But that can be confused with normal numbers. However, it would be nice if the parsing object/system automatically converted 10.20 to 10:20 if it is in a time field.

The ultimate solution is to go to metric time. ;)
http://zapatopi.net/metrictime/