The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

I need 'OUT' ! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
I thought you were looking for a way to take an email you'd received and convert it into an OmniFocus action while at large with your iPhone.
No whpalmer4 you're not wrong, in truth, I was originally asking about that. As always, apologies that my airy-fairy posts may have devolved into something else! As an experiment, you can embed the javascript into an email and send it on, it's then possible to click on the embedded link and launch OmniFocus which then fills up with with the appropriately formatted content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
Apologies in advance for being circumspect, but it seems OF iPad will have the ability within the app to send a task to another OF user who can then tap a link in the message and add the task to their OF database. If that makes it into OF iPad, then I would guess we'll eventually see it in OF iPhone and desktop.
This is a feature I love about some of the ToDo apps on the iPhone. If the user has the same GTD app installed, then clicking on it in Mail opens it directly in their GTD App inBox.

I hope we get something like this in OF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by policarpo View Post
This is a feature I love about some of the ToDo apps on the iPhone. If the user has the same GTD app installed, then clicking on it in Mail opens it directly in their GTD App inBox.

I hope we get something like this in OF.
Have you tried this in OmniFocus? I don't know if it works across users and their databases, but I can drag a task from OmniFocus on the Mac to an email, send it to my iPhone, and clicking on the link in the email on the iPhone opens the task in OmniFocus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Jones View Post
Have you tried this in OmniFocus? I don't know if it works across users and their databases, but I can drag a task from OmniFocus on the Mac to an email, send it to my iPhone, and clicking on the link in the email on the iPhone opens the task in OmniFocus.
Yeah, but this only works if you are synced to the same database, not for separate databases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Jones View Post
What Mac OmniFocus puts in there is a link to an existing action, which you'll be taken to if all goes well. Looks like omnifocus:///task/pid_cO-rlGO for some value of pid_cO-rlGO. It works for your database, but no one else's, and just gives a pointer to the action, not any of the data. You couldn't use it to reconstruct the action in a new database, for example.

As of OmniFocus for iPhone 1.6, and probably one of the post-1.7.5 sneaky peek builds on the desktop, OmniFocus understands URLs of the form omnifocus:///add?name=hello%20world&...le.org/%20link (omnifocus:///add?name=hello%20world&note=text%20and%20http://example.org/%20link)
which when clicked will get you a quick entry box with name and note filled in and you add project, context, and dates. It also brings us full circle to "hey, Omni should implement Send to OmniFocus" because they've got all of the pieces ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
what mac omnifocus puts in there is a link to an existing action, which you'll be taken to if all goes well. Looks like omnifocus:///task/pid_co-rlgo for some value of pid_co-rlgo. It works for your database, but no one else's, and just gives a pointer to the action, not any of the data. You couldn't use it to reconstruct the action in a new database, for example.

As of omnifocus for iphone 1.6, and probably one of the post-1.7.5 sneaky peek builds on the desktop, omnifocus understands urls of the form omnifocus:///add?name=hello%20world&...le.org/%20link (omnifocus:///add?name=hello%20world&note=text%20and%20http://example.org/%20link)
which when clicked will get you a quick entry box with name and note filled in and you add project, context, and dates. It also brings us full circle to "hey, omni should implement send to omnifocus" because they've got all of the pieces ;)

sweeeeeeeet!!!

This is like the text clipping feature.

but this doesn't work via a simple drag and drop of the Task in email does it?

I can't seem to get it to work...or does it need to be a Task generated from 1 sneaky Peek to the other?

How do you generate this automatically?

Last edited by policarpo; 2010-07-12 at 04:39 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by policarpo View Post
How do you generate this automatically?
You can't generate it automatically (at least not without a custom script) in the current released versions of the app. It seems that the OF iPad app may generate emails with such links automatically. Based on that, I'm guessing the feature will come to the iPhone and desktop eventually.

Someone who knows a little AppleScript could automate the generation of such emails on the desktop without too much trouble. Generation of such emails on the iPhone will require work on Omni's part, but hopefully that will happen soon.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
Apologies in advance for being circumspect, but it seems OF iPad will have the ability within the app to send a task to another OF user who can then tap a link in the message and add the task to their OF database. If that makes it into OF iPad, then I would guess we'll eventually see it in OF iPhone and desktop.
This would be huge if it could happen on the iPhone too. Hopefully the message contains information from the action in text form so that one could send an action to anyone and they could act on it whether or not they had OF.

J.

I think this simple feature addition on all 3 platforms would help tremendously in collaborative environments.

Please make it happen. This will get us 1 step closer to collaborative delegation within OmniFocus. :)

@whpalmer4

Any chance you have this as an Applescript you could compile and share so that it could be used on the desktop?:D