The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniWeb 5.7 beta 1 now available! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Today we released OmniWeb 5.7 into the world of beta. If you've been on the sneaky peek track you wont see much new in this release.

If you haven't been using OmniWeb 5.7 sneaky peeks there are a number of changes, you can take a look at the release notes here:

http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omniweb/beta/

Download links are available from the page above as well as by simply using the Check for updates... option under the OmniWeb menu.

There is one change new to this release not in the last sneaky peek that I thought I would mention. We've added small versions of all the icons, this means if you use the small size for your toolbar they may now appear a bit clearer with more contrast.

Thanks to everyone testing the sneaky peeks!

That's great but why using these so ugly toolbar's icons?

Hey to switch back to tiff icons. Great. So we can use Hicks tiger theme again.. :D

I like the icons.

Not to start another pointless icon thread, but I like them too. They're different.

And congrats on the beta! Great work, folks!

Thanks for the beta...
I also like the icons...
Peace...

Sorry to be a Negative Nancy, but the icons are shoddy (what the heck is the deal with that site prefs icon??) and, far more importantly, the update is disappointing. OW still looks and behaves like a Tiger app, and has a bunch of annoying bugs that have been lingering for ages. I've never seen a browser go from first to worst so quickly.

It may be time to stop waiting for OW to get better, swallow the loss on the license, and move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcoreUFO View Post
Sorry to be a Negative Nancy, but the icons are shoddy (what the heck is the deal with that site prefs icon??) and, far more importantly, the update is disappointing. OW still looks and behaves like a Tiger app, and has a bunch of annoying bugs that have been lingering for ages. I've never seen a browser go from first to worst so quickly.

It may be time to stop waiting for OW to get better, swallow the loss on the license, and move on.

I'm not so sure I agree with the "worst" part, but if you're not satisfied, yes, by all means it may be time to move on. After reading MacWorld's review of Firefox3 beta4, I checked it out and must say they've made some impressive improvements. Will it replace OW as my default browser? Probably not. Nothing matches site preferences and zoomed text editing for my needs. That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing some innovations in future releases of OW.

Quote:

I agree, I particularly dislike the drawer icon and the prefs icon. They look amateurish... The rest are ok, but I prefered the old icons better. Certainly these new icons don't make it justice for the fine high-class browser that it is. I would like to see new icons though.

I agree on the tiger bugs, what I'd like see fixed is the window position and the unnecessary window cascading.

Quote:
has a bunch of annoying bugs that have been lingering for ages.
Yes - still:

No Javascript printing.

When closing a tab, jumps to the last one instead of the last previously viewed.

Near useless Autofill - the worst of any Mac browser.

Alphabetically sorting Favorites bookmarks in Bookmarks window isn't saved.