The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > Community > Omni Lounge
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniMap Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have become a believer in Mindmaps. I have Mindjets MindManager 7 for Mac and to be honest I could use it much more in my life than how I am using it currently. As with a lot of products, the mac version is ok but the pc version is loaded with features. While I was reading about what my fellow Mac users were saying on forums, it hit me. Who would be the obvious company to produce a Mind Map product? Omnigroup.

While you can do some version of it in Omnigraffle, it would seem that it wouldn't be much more of a step to take it to a full MindMap program. A program that would take Mindjets basic mac version and get it closer to the pc version without the $350 price tag

What do you say Omni? It is a natural fit with all your products whether from an import/export between programs to another productivity piece.

Apologies if there was another thread on this subject

I'm about to pull the trigger on an app to help me do mind mapping. While I appreciated the robustness of OmniGraffle and could see myself using a lot of the features, I'm leaning towards Mind Jet Mind Manager because it is far easier to use for quick brainstorming. I love OmniFocus (on my Mac and iPhone) and would love to see Omni Group create a mind mapping solution that would integrate.

Exactly what I am looking for - a mindmapping solution with iphone version that integrates with Omnifocus

Have you tried Buzan's iMindMap? http://www.imindmap.com/

Also, MyThoughts at http://www.modedevie.eu/home/home.html

Both programs are similar in that they follow the same principles outlined by Buzan. MyThoughts seems a bit more "together" when it comes to UI; for example, I can tab around branches, while in iMindMap navigation isn't too intuitive.

I'd be interested in other folks' impressions of these two programs. Buzan's iMindMap is a LOT more pricier and I want to know why should I drop money I don't have on this program.

I've been using both the Mac and PC versions of Mind Manager. They're very different but both nice. I've settled on Xmind for now but what I REALLY want is the ability to make a map then save it in a way that I can share with other people who don't get mind maps. Most people do get outlines though so I'd love to be able to make an OmniMap, export it as OOXML or something like that so mere mortals can contribute to it in MS Word then I can get it back into OmniOutliner so I can use it.

The ability for applications to share data with other users outside the application ecosphere as well as within is what makes an application truly great. Mind Manager for the PC does a decent job of that but the Mac version misses a lot of that functionality.

And YES, I've tried using OmniGraffle to make a mind map but it's not even close to any of the more dedicated products. PLEASE make a dedicated mind mapping product OmniGroup!

it would be really nice to get some feedback from omni as to whether they are planning the blindingly obvious step of implementing both a mindmap module and the seamless integration of the omnisphere apps. the ability to switch with one click between graphic and text outlines, convert mindmap elements to todo's, project, graph, outline etc and any combinations thereof would be so mindbogglingly useful. mindjet mindmanager is definitely in the right direction, but i suspect omni could blow the mac version out of the water, with enhanced navigation abilities between the different omni modules. it seems to me that omni is already doing almost everything needed.

omniguys - WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS ???