The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

I really need a third category... Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
While I do not disagree, I do think it extends to the held up action, because technically the action that is held up by the external things supporting it is waiting, too. This to me, speaks of something more like a status (like "On Hold" for projects, which is precisely what is going on--just at the task level). To me, the things which hold something up (that are not also something within your area of responsibility) are really something more like a note that implies a status shift, which is why I chose to present it the way I did. The fact that I need Samir to get some data to me should not occupy a task row in and of itself. It has no business in my todo list, except to explain why Task A is not proceeding.

Your conclusion about having a separate bucket is something that I personally agree with, though I would take it a bit further. Personally, I'd like context view to merely be another "staging" area like project view, discrete from a hypothetical third view: The working area. The working area would have sections for next actions (which would be a collation of context+projects; simultaneously addressing the problem of singletons, from another thread), which could be grouped by context, project, or however you wish to work. Also it would have sections for someday/maybes and waitingfors. This working area would allow easier review as it would pull out specific types of tasks and projects by status. This is where smart folders would go in the future.

I think the current setup is trying too hard to combine working+context. Granted this is how GTD is described, and I am not contesting that at all, I just wonder if too much is going on in the OF context view? I'm always flipping filters around in there, and wishing that there were somehow more filters for isolation and review. Adding filters and buckets to the context view is, while the easiest direction to develop, in my opinion a bad direction to go.

But, this is definitely getting into a post 1.0 release discussion. :)

Last edited by AmberV; 2007-06-07 at 11:13 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberV
While I do not disagree, I do think it extends to the held up action, because technically the action that is held up by the external things supporting it is waiting, too. This to me, speaks of something more like a status (like "On Hold" for projects, which is precisely what is going on--just at the task level). To me, the things which hold something up (that are not also something within your area of responsibility) are really something more like a note that implies a status shift, which is why I chose to present it the way I did. The fact that I need Samir to get some data to me should not occupy a task row in and of itself. It has no business in my todo list, except to explain why Task A is not proceeding.
I agree. I am just emphasizing that it should be easy to a) see what is holding up the project (Samir), b) find and check-off the item (when Samir does send in the data) and thereby release things that ARE on my todo list, and c) review these as a group (so I can decide whether to send Samir another email). Co-opting a context for WFs does these three things (which is why I have a @WaitingFor 'context'). But it remains confusing conceptually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberV
I think the current setup is trying too hard to combine working+context. Granted this is how GTD is described, and I am not contesting that at all, I just wonder if too much is going on in the OF context view? I'm always flipping filters around in there, and wishing that there were somehow more filters for isolation and review. Adding filters and buckets to the context view is, while the easiest direction to develop, in my opinion a bad direction to go.
Also: the planned-for-1.0 "Perspectives" feature (there's discussion of it in other threads) will actually go along way along these lines. By saving sets of filter-states, context-selection, and folder/project-focus, you should be able to quickly get pretty isolated. "Next TPS Report action" or "Everything I'm waiting for" or what have you.