The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects with due dates, and children without Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'd like to have actions (which don't have individual due dates) show up in a perspective with a status filter of "Flagged or Due". Now just hang on... let me qualify this by saying that even though the actions themselves don't have due dates, their parent projects do. Can this be done? Thanks, Nathan

That's how it normally works. There's no way to have it not work that way. An action without a due date inherits the due date of its parent. Are you seeing something different?

Curt

wonder if i found a sneaky peek bug. did i forget to mention that? oops:)

at least I'm pretty sure that my tasks (with no due dates) arent showing up in my 'due or flagged' perspective even when the parent has a due date. Unless there is some other factor that is contributing.... but I'm quite sure that using the same perspective where they weren't showing up, I got them to appear by giving them dates in planning mode.

I'm using the sneaky peek and can't replicate that. Can you post a screen shot of a project that has the problem, plus a screenshot in context mode demonstrating the problem? Be sure to show the view bar so we can see if there might be some other cause. (The sneaky peek hasn't made changes in this area, and I don't recall it ever being a problem. So, I suspect something else is going on.)

Curt

Also make sure your availability filter is set to something that makes sense in your case. The 1.8 sneaky peek has moved the due and flagged related options from the availability filter to the status filter, so you may end up with different combinations of settings than you're used to in previous versions.

For instance, in OF 1.7, the "Due or Flagged" option was on the Availability filter, and this overrode the "available" behaviour to show all tasks that met that criteria, regardless of whether they were available or not. In the 1.8 sneaky peek, you can now have the availability filter set to "available" and the status filter set to "due or flagged" which will show only those tasks that are "due or flagged" AND available.

So if your project or action group is set to sequential order, later tasks may be blocked in this case regardless of whether they have an inherited due date or not, since you could have the filter set to show only available tasks. You'd have to set the availability filter back to "Remaining" to get the old 1.7 behaviour of showing all remaining due or flagged tasks.

If you're using perspectives inherited from 1.7 or prior, you may need to adjust them to account for this, since I'm not sure exactly how they migrate (I was so excited about having the separate "Due or Flagged" option in the Status filter that I didn't bother to check, I just jumped in and updated my perspectives right away).

Yeah, I'm not sure what happened. Maybe I did something screwy. It started working as expected just as soon as you guys got back to me and told me it was supposed to work as expected. I think my puter is scared of Curt.

I haven't had time to try and replicate this. The ninjas want me to get back to them on it as well. I'm going to have to try and repopulate the template again and see if it happens. Thanks for the ideas. I'll let you know if I figure it out.