The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

time context Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I wonder how do you do this in GTD. I have many projects, and choose to work on some of them "today". I'd create a context "Today" and make it sync to an iCal calendar "Today", which is then shown in Anxiety all the time.

But. I have to reassign contexts to "Today." If I don't do them today, I have to move them back. And I lose context such as Mac or Garage or whatever. Where's the notion of time, except as hidden in numerous "due dates"? Why don't we have Time along with Project and Context?

Quote:
Originally Posted by braver View Post
But. I have to reassign contexts to "Today." If I don't do them today, I have to move them back.
You have just answered your own question in those two sentences. A "today" context or tag isn't used in GTD because it has to be revised too often, either because we tend to put more stuff on the "today" list than we can realistically do in a day, or because something else might come up over the course of the day that is higher priority.

A key GTD principle is that only things that must be done on a certain day are assigned to that day, and those things go in your calendar. Everything else is kept in a list by context. Any outcome that requires more than one step to do is a project and goes on a list of projects. When choosing what to do next, one should decide based on context, available time, priority, and energy level.

Of course GTD is not a cult and can accommodate flexibility. I generally use flags to indicate tasks or projects that I think I should be working on today or in the next few days. Part of my daily review is taking a look at what I have flagged and adding or removing flags as my priorities shift. Leo Babauta of the Zen Habits blog promotes keeping a list of three Most Important Tasks for the day, on the grounds that if you identify those and do them, you'll be productive and have a sense of accomplishment.

Much of the time, though, I rely on frequent reviews--scanning over my projects at the beginning of the day to decide what's most important, and then scanning my context lists frequently to decide what to do next. I'll use the focus command and show only next actions if I really need to shrink my list.