The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > Other WebDAV
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WebDAV sync problems Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I was able to get desktop OF to sync to a Box.net WebDAV (I just used http://www.box.net/dav/ as the address, after connecting to it via finder).

I was able to log in to the webDav on my iPod Touch, but got the following message:

Cannot Copy
Unable to get list of source files from file://localhost/var/mobile/[etc]/Documents/OmniFocus.ofocus/."

It also pops up twice in a row, if that offers any hints. Any ideas?

(Using Sneaky Peak 1.1 v77.4.0.102736 on an iPod Touch)

It means that the DAV connex to box.net is timing out before the sync is completing. Some people seem to have had luck doing a sync to disc and then copying that folder to their box.net DAV store. box.net appears to just be too slow, or OF too impatient, for the sync to work properly.

If you look in the box.net DAV folder online, you'll see some folder named Omnifocus-sync-in-progress or similar.

Anyway, check out BingoDisk. It's not free, but it's cheaper than MiniMe, and worked the first time out for me.

Jeremy

Keeping with the Box.net thread: I tried sync to disk (which for some reason didn't work on a flash drive I tried - it also left me w/ a sync in progress file). Then trying to copy it directly to the dav gave me this error:

You cannot copy some of these items to the destination because their names are too long or contain invalid characters for the destination. Do you want to skip copying these items and continue copying the other items?

I tried changing the extension and arbitrarily shortening the name of the file to no avail.

I tried to go the more direct route by uploading through the webpage, but for some reason OmniFocus.ofocus is greyed out and unavailable.

Yep... I spent all day yesterday trying to sync using several other WebDavs (sharemation, etc). Per the last post's suggestion, I signed-up for bingodisk ($19/yr for 10gb); and it worked right away. Thanks for the tip!

I have to believe that after spending all this money there has to be some free way of getting information from desktop to ipod.

I'm afraid I'm about to get hit with an extra charge for floor mats, now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrzyMke View Post
I have to believe that after spending all this money there has to be some free way of getting information from desktop to ipod.

I'm afraid I'm about to get hit with an extra charge for floor mats, now.
If you're happy only syncing while on the same wifi network, you might check this post:
http://manas.tungare.name/blog/2008/...cus-to-iphone/

Ja...I too don't want to pay or rely on a 3rd party server. And as of yet, I can't find instructions on how to set it up locally in a way that seems manageably easy.

No joy. No T's G-ing D today. Sigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
If you're happy only syncing while on the same wifi network, you might check this post:
http://manas.tungare.name/blog/2008/...cus-to-iphone/
Those instructions work perfectly. And if you have dynamic DNS set up then syncing over the Web should work just fine (port forwarding may apply). I'm working with two Macs, however (I do not have an iPhone or iPod touch).

I also followed the instructions at http://manas.tungare.name and was able to setup and successfully connect via webdav to my localhost via both the Finder's "Connect to Server..." and the Goliath WebDav client. In both cases I was able to upload and delete files.

But when I try to sync via webdav to localhost, OmniFocus returns the error 'The server returned an error 502, “bad gateway”.' The sync preferences report a failed sync, though despite this error, OmniFocus is actually writing "OmniFocus.ofocus-copy-in-progress-xxxxxxxxxxx" files to the webdav.

Any thoughts?

I'm running 1.1 sneakypeek v77.4.0.102736 on OS X 10.4.11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lawrence View Post
There are, I think, a lot of WebDAV servers out there whose certificates aren't signed by Thawte (or whoever else is considered authoritative). Omni needs to let us get at those servers.
Definitely, I'm personally on ASmallOrange.