The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forecast View (from iPad) for Mac version. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Wouldn't it be great to have the forecast view and the way reviewing works on the iPad, for the desktop version?

http://www.omnigroup.com/products/omnifocus-ipad/

I agree with hypotyposis regarding the forecast and start dates.

I've recently switched from using Due Dates to using Start dates which allows for a much cleaner look in most perspectives by removing the tasks which aren't yet available as well as only showing me critical overdues rather than everything that was overdue. My badge regularly showed 100+items when I used due dates.

I now realised that switching to start dates makes the forecast view next to useless which is a shame as I found it one of the best features of the iPad app and really miss it now.

I think Forecast does need an option to show what you have planned for each day not just what is due each day. For me this now includes what I have planned to start each day even if the due date isn't set. Tasks with due dates should obviously still show, but I now only use days date for absolute critical tasks.

When I do my review I now set my start dates to more realistic dates that I plan to start that task or project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
I've recently switched from using Due Dates to using Start dates which allows for a much cleaner look in most perspectives by removing the tasks which aren't yet available as well as only showing me critical overdues rather than everything that was overdue. My badge regularly showed 100+items when I used due dates.
hallelujah - I discovered the same thing too. I think this week is the first time I feel my next actions actually reflect what I'm up to this week :)

Quote:
I now realised that switching to start dates makes the forecast view next to useless which is a shame as I found it one of the best features of the iPad app and really miss it now.
I realized last night that items done in this manner are missing in my forecast too :/

Quote:
I think Forecast does need an option to show what you have planned for each day not just what is due each day. For me this now includes what I have planned to start each day even if the due date isn't set. Tasks with due dates should obviously still show, but I now only use days date for absolute critical tasks.
I 2nd this request!

ps. I request mac forecast view too :)

Last edited by chinarut; 2011-04-25 at 09:55 AM.. Reason: to stay on topic :)

I 3rd this request (start dates for forecast view).

I am all for the forecast view as well. It feel like the most helpful for really planning your time out. I hope that this view will be added.. and soon! :D

I'd like to add a request for filtering forecast view by context group, plus start dates plus adding to the mac version. I'm so easy to please :)

I'm guessing (hoping) that Forcast view will be incorporated into version 2.0 since it's right on the horizon and will supposedly look just as good as the iPad version :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnthorsnaer View Post
I 3rd this request (start dates for forecast view).
I 4th this. Please!!! It would be so great---and it would make so much sense---to be able to see what tasks will become available in the near future! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desalesh View Post
I 4th this. Please!!! It would be so great---and it would make so much sense---to be able to see what tasks will become available in the near future! Thanks!
No need to wait. Go to Context mode (View->Context Mode). Group by start date (View->Grouping->Start), sort by whatever you like, Availability filter should be Remaining, Status filter to Any Status, Estimated Time Filter to Any Duration. Add the Start Date column if necessary. Open or close any of the groups to tailor the view as you prefer, and save it as a perspective, making sure to check the Restore:Expansion checkbox so that your choices about the groups are retained.

Forecast view is so awesome on the iPhone and iPad.

Please bring it to the Mac version soon.

All in favour say Aye!

sf d-)=