The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus 2! The Debut. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Question: I'm currently using the OF trial and am planning on purchasing when it expires next month. With the launch target for OF 2 being 1Q2013, will I be able to upgrade for free or will I have to purchase an upgrade like everybody else?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillet View Post
Where do we find coverage about last nights meeting?
I don't think there was a meeting last night-the OmniFocus 2.0 debut event is January 31, 2013.

I too thought it was 1/1/2013. Just moved my OmniFocus 2.0 project out to start 1/31/2013.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaZulia View Post
I too thought it was 1/1/2013. Just moved my OmniFocus 2.0 project out to start 1/31/2013.
When I read "Help us kick off 2013" the week before the new year, I was thinking December 31st (even though clearly it says January 31st now that I look back) was when they were meeting. I guess my excitement got ahead of me. Thanks for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrowning View Post
Question: I'm currently using the OF trial and am planning on purchasing when it expires next month. With the launch target for OF 2 being 1Q2013, will I be able to upgrade for free or will I have to purchase an upgrade like everybody else?

Thanks!
I am in the same situation; my OmniFocus for OS X trial has just lapsed, so I only have access through my iOS device right now. I am sure a lot of people are in this position, given how hard Merlin Mann was hustling for the product on the b2w podcast in December 2012.

If you email sales, they may give you a free extension.

I have decided not ask for a trial extension just yet, and I am waiting (waiting… waiting…) for The Omni Group to announce that all sales from this point forward will be eligible for no–charge upgrades to version 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrowning View Post
I was in similar situation like other new users, and I decided to write Omni support about it. This is what they said:

Thanks for checking in with us. When OmniFocus 2 enters an open beta, sometime after the debut event on January 31st, customers that purchase version 1 will get a free upgrade to OmniFocus 2. Customers that purchase the app before that point will receive a discount on the upgrade.

I hope it helps everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbuktu View Post
I was in similar situation like other new users, and I decided to write Omni support about it. This is what they said:

Thanks for checking in with us. When OmniFocus 2 enters an open beta, sometime after the debut event on January 31st, customers that purchase version 1 will get a free upgrade to OmniFocus 2. Customers that purchase the app before that point will receive a discount on the upgrade.
Interesting. That's a much less generous offer than was made almost two years ago for OmniOutliner purchasers (with no beta in sight): http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost...78&postcount=3

One possible inference is that OmniOutliner now sells very few copies compared to OmniFocus, so giving away free upgrades to new purchasers isn't foregoing much revenue, and might even accelerate some revenue by getting some potential purchasers off the fence. The cynical might even conclude that there was a lack of confidence that OmniOutliner 4 was ever going to see the light of day, and giving away a free upgrade to an unlikely product was just a way to milk the current product for some additional revenue. The somewhat less cynical might note that the free upgrade offer wasn't exactly shouted from the rooftops, and thus the number of additional sales spurred by the offer might be small, while still netting the credit for being customer-friendly.

Hopefully the OF 2 process doesn't drag out to the point where this thread is still active next year! Shall we start a pool? :-)

Looks like I will be waiting to make a purchase given no free upgrade to 2

will have to stick to ipad only for the time being

it sucks that ipad cant create perspectives without the desktop app

You aren't entirely stuck: you can download the free trial of OF to your Mac and create your perspectives before it runs out, or you can contact the Omni support ninjas and have them create them for you (you'll have to sync your data with the Omni sync server at least temporarily). It is harder than it should be, but not impossible!