The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

What is "restore selection" ? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm referring to a field in the Perspectives window that comes up when you are creating a new perspective.

There is a series of check boxes in the middle of the window. The list includes: 1) focus 2) layout 3) expansion, and 4) selection.

I'm having trouble understanding these check boxes. I think my perspectives have all checked, but I'm not positive. My guess is that it is referring to whether the screen is "focused" or not -or- whether the lists are "expanded" or not, etc...

However, I'm thinking that if you save a perspective with a certain focus -- why wouldn't you want it to show up like that the next time? If it wasn't focues on what you saved? ... then what would it focus on? Andy why would someone want the expansion different that what they saved in the first place (unless they changed their mind, of course... and then they could re-memorize the perspective).

I'm sure that I'm missing the whole point of this. Could someone please explain? Also - what does the 4th one mean? (restore selection)

Thanks so much,
Leila

"Selection" is the actual items that are _selected_ when you create the perspective. i.e. say you have clicked on 4 or 5 different contexts and then create the perspective… if you check "restore selection" these exact perspectives will be selected when you open the perspective. If you do NOT have the box checked, then going to that perspective will leave selected what you have when you invoke it (which could be other perspectives).

Play around with it a bit and you'll see.

Personally, I still think perspectives are a bit arcane. I would much prefer a smart group to perspectives. It just makes more sense to me :-/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leila View Post
There is a series of check boxes in the middle of the window. The list includes: 1) focus 2) layout 3) expansion, and 4) selection.

I'm having trouble understanding these check boxes. I think my perspectives have all checked, but I'm not positive. My guess is that it is referring to whether the screen is "focused" or not -or- whether the lists are "expanded" or not, etc...
  • Focus
    If this box is checked, when the perspective is opened, the focus will be restored to what it was when you created the perspective. This allows you to do things like make a perspective focused on a selection or folder of projects, perhaps all of your work-related projects, or all of your personal projects, which will only show the tasks from those projects when you go to context mode.
  • Layout
    If this box is checked, OmniFocus will restore the layout of the window (window size, width of sidebar, column width, etc.) to what it was when you created the perspective.
  • Expansion
    If this box is checked, OmniFocus will open and close any groups, folders, etc. to match how they were when you created the perspective. This is useful for creating a "Due Today" perspective, for example: you make a view in Context mode that is grouped by due and close all of the groups except the one for today. Save with Restore:Expansion checked and it will always hide all of those other actions whenever you bring up the perspective.
  • Selection
    If this box is checked, OmniFocus restores the selection to what it was when you created the perspective. For example, a Context mode perspective might want specifically include or exclude the No Contexts portion, and a Project mode perspective might want to specifically include or exclude the Inbox.
Quote:
However, I'm thinking that if you save a perspective with a certain focus -- why wouldn't you want it to show up like that the next time? If it wasn't focues on what you saved? ... then what would it focus on?
If you don't have the Restore:Focus box checked and you open a perspective, the focus that was in place prior to doing so will be retained. This can be good or bad. If you don't notice that you're still focused, and were expecting all of your data to be included but only some is, that could be a problem. On the other hand, if you've got a set of perspectives that you might wish to apply whether focused or not, this is good.

Quote:
And why would someone want the expansion different that what they saved in the first place (unless they changed their mind, of course... and then they could re-memorize the perspective).
You might want a set of views that could be applied without disturbing the expansion, so that you could decide today you are working on the tasks due today, tomorrow, and in the next week, flipping through them with your various perspectives without having to continually reopen or close groups as you would if the perspectives were set to restore expansion with different groups open. Tomorrow you might feel differently and only want to see the tasks due tomorrow.

Does that help? You can also look at the help in OmniFocus for Using perspectives to store your OmniFocus window settings (there are a few things I didn't touch on here).

That was an excellent explanation.

1) Now I see why someone would want to create a perspective -- but still be able to hang onto to something from their previous view of the data, and therefore leave one or more of those boxes unchecked.

I already understood Omnifocus as extremely flexible and a powerful tool... but wow, this flexibility is just another example of that!!

2) With regard to my question about the word "selection," the 4th box... The meaning of that word would normally be self evident. However, not understanding before that you could have a "partial perspective" (retain some aspects, but not all, and leave some of those boxes unchecked)...it didn't make sense then because I had assumed that one would always want the same "selection" if they were choosing to use that perspective.

Understanding the flexible use of perspectives makes it all make sense now.
Thank-you much!

Leila

That reminds me of one slightly tricky aspect, which is if you want a perspective that ignores any existing focus (in other words, always works on all of your projects that match the view bar settings, not just the focused ones), you have to save it with the Restore:Focus box checked, but no focus in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leila View Post
That was an excellent explanation.

1) Now I see why someone would want to create a perspective -- but still be able to hang onto to something from their previous view of the data, and therefore leave one or more of those boxes unchecked.

I already understood Omnifocus as extremely flexible and a powerful tool... but wow, this flexibility is just another example of that!!

2) With regard to my question about the word "selection," the 4th box... The meaning of that word would normally be self evident. However, not understanding before that you could have a "partial perspective" (retain some aspects, but not all, and leave some of those boxes unchecked)...it didn't make sense then because I had assumed that one would always want the same "selection" if they were choosing to use that perspective.

Understanding the flexible use of perspectives makes it all make sense now.
Thank-you much!

Leila

Many thanks to Leila for so clearly formulating this nut, and thanks to whpalmer4 for so elegantly cracking it! It was not until I read your conversation above that I could start understanding the meaning and value of the restore setting.