The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Feature Request: task prioritization! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
As I recently mentioned in the Tags thread, our plan all along has been to allow people to create their own columns of metadata, which they can use however they want: with generic tags, or with specific columns for priority, people, etc. (We have this capability in OmniPlan, OmniOutliner, and OmniGraffle.) We just didn't have time to do it for 1.0, and we won't for 1.1 (which has to focus on synchronization so it can be ready to synchronize with the iPhone).

Hopefully in 1.6.
Looks like we are going to have to wait for 2.0 for this feature since the 1.6 sneak peak doesn't include this feature. One thing that puzzles me is that OO already has this feature; so, I assume most of the codes can be reused for OF; so, I'm not sure what's the hold up on this feature.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrhee View Post
One thing that puzzles me is that OO already has this feature; so, I assume most of the codes can be reused for OF; so, I'm not sure what's the hold up on this feature.
I think this could be one of those situations where it looks a lot simpler on the outside than it actually is on the inside. It's probably not a simple matter of copying code from OmniOutliner. OmniFocus has it's own features, dependencies, interactions, etc. that probably need to be accounted for. And, of course, there's the whole question of how to deal with it on the iPhone. For us to make any kind of predictions on this is pure speculation, since we don't have the source code nor access to Omni Group's longer-term design decisions.

Who knows when we'll see these metadata columns. But I haven't heard Omni Group say anything about the 1.6 version being feature-complete yet. So maybe it's still coming. ;-)

-Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrhee View Post
Looks like we are going to have to wait for 2.0 for this feature since the 1.6 sneak peak doesn't include this feature.
1.6 sneaky peeks have been out for only a few days. I'm not sure I would jump to the conclusion that if your favorite feature can't be seen, it isn't coming, or that 1.6 is the only release vehicle left before 2.0. Remember, there was no Bonjour sync when the 1.1/1.5 sneaky peek came on the scene. You might be pleasantly surprised.
Quote:
One thing that puzzles me is that OO already has this feature; so, I assume most of the codes can be reused for OF; so, I'm not sure what's the hold up on this feature.
No offense intended, but are you an upper-level manager, by any chance? :-)

Even if it was a simple matter of hauling the code for "this feature" over from OmniOutliner (and personally, I don't think OmniOutliner has "this feature" in a form that I would want for OmniFocus) there is still quite a bit of work to be done in integrating that user-customizable column with all of the OmniFocus tools. This is a bit more complex than simply adding the ability to show the completion date or context columns. I expect this feature will be a reasonably rich bit of work in the usual Omni fashion, and worth the wait. I could be wrong, but I hope not :-)

Sorry, I did not read all the messages in this 20+ pages thread. Therefore just a short suggestion:

If you could add a tag like "Priority" which could have values like "high", "medium" and "low" or 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or whatever you like and you could simply select all tasks with Priority="high", would this solve your problem?

Someone called this “the mother of all threads” and I have to say that I love the intensity and commitment of the OF community. Many voices joining together to make a great product even better. As I posted elsewhere (and felt compelled to repeat here on the MOATs ) I have say that this isn’t an resolved issue and it isn’t a dead liquified horse. It is an easy to solve problem in OF that would make it conform with real GTD.

There is today an implicit priority sorting in every context view. It is almost guaranteed to be wrong. When you put one item above or below another there is an implicit prioritization (row one comes before two and is therefor more important etc) Those of you who believe you are defending GTD by banning prioritization are actually defending a failed prioritization in OF’s context view.

On the other hand, the suggestions for a prioritization field are actually rather clumsy solutions to this problem, as is the hacked idea of using duration (which is what I do now) The simple, only GTD pure, solution is to allow manual sorts on actions in the context view. This function is a hallmark of the Omni products (It is the core of OmniOutliner) and its absence in OF is somewhat shocking.

If we could use Cntl Cmd Up / Down arrow to sort in context as we can do in project this rancorous debate would end and OF would really match GTD theory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douger View Post
If we could use Cntl Cmd Up / Down arrow to sort in context as we can do in project this rancorous debate would end and OF would really match GTD theory.
Why not just applescript this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
Why not just applescript this?
Ummm, because the function is disabled. In Project Views you can move projects groups or actions up or down, indent or un indent them with Cmd Cntrl Arrow keys, utlizing the similar fuctionality as in OmniOutliner. In Context views these function are visible (not greyed out) but do not function

Edit>Outlining>Move>Move Down or Move Up are not functional in Context views.

Quote:
Ummm, because the function is disabled. In Project Views you can move projects groups or actions up or down, indent or un indent them with Cmd Cntrl Arrow keys, utlizing the similar fuctionality as in OmniOutliner. In Context views these function are visible (not greyed out) but do not function

Edit>Outlining>Move>Move Down or Move Up are not functional in Context views.
That's not what I mean. If you look on the Extras board there are a set of applescripts called "MoveToTop" and "MoveToBottom" that, in either planning or context mode, will move the selected action to the top or bottom of its project and change the context view accordingly. That script seems to be a good start along what you are looking for; why not just modify it to get at what you're missing from true GTD religion or whatever?

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look at the scripts, but if they also change to sorting in Projects then that really isn't the solution.

I believe the conversation, and the solution was well defined (recently, since it seems to keep coming up) here:

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=11529

Thanks again for all your help and suggestion Lucas.

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look at the scripts, but if they also change to sorting in Projects then that really isn't the solution.

I believe the conversation, and the solution was well defined (recently, since it seems to keep coming up) here:

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=11529

Thanks again for all your help and suggestion Lucas.
I'm glad to help with modifying those scripts if you decide you want to.