The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Feature Request: Per task work hours Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
What I would love is to be able to specify when I can be working on this task.

For example, many tasks I can only work on 9 to 5, others I can work on only after work, others I can only work on, on the weekend so I don't really want to see them until I can actually work on them.

Such a feature would really make my day :)

Last edited by hackeron; 2011-03-13 at 10:17 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackeron View Post
What I would love is to be able to specify when I can be working on this task.

For example, many tasks I can only work on 9 to 5, others I can work on only after work, others I can only work on, on the weekend so I don't really want to see them until I can actually work on them.

Such a feature would really make my day :)
I use time related contexts. My examples were for days of the week, but you could have a context of "9 to 5" or "Weekend." That would work better if we could assign more than one context to an action, but it might work for some items.

Well, yes, exactly, a context of 9 to 5 is useless if you don't have multiple contexts, but if you have multiple contexts, how exactly do you display the information in context view? -- i.e. if you wanted to see tasks that match multiple contexts.

I think time based contexts are important enough to be implemented properly so that the context view can be filtered by time to show only tasks you could actually be working on.

this would be similar to the " places " used in LifeBalance and this is just a guess but I"m thinking Omni probably won't go for it unless it was optional . For me, I just focus on work contexts at work and then the personal ones after hours ..

I"m sure you're aware that you can select multiple contexts to view at one time, and save that as a perspective right ?

I have abandoned OmniFocus back in 2007 for the lack of this, now trying it out again and once again hitting this wall :/

A lot of my task are indeed Work related, but some I can complete any time and others I have to wait for the shops to open. No point me being reminded to go to the store at 10pm when it's closed.

I have been using Things for a while and it allows multiple tags per task, which effectively gives me multiple context and allows me to use time based contexts - unfortunately however its sync is really crippled and I cannot sync between my iMac and Macbook Pro making it impractical.

So are my choices Things with no sync and OmniFocus without multiple contexts per task? - is there some kind of workaround for this in OmniFocus?