The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Is this the right program for me? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello all,

I am a recent PC to Mac Convert and while I have been able to find almost everything we need to run the office solely on Mac's I have yet to find a replacement for Visio.

We use Visio to create fire and crime scene sketches and diagrams but I don't see anything similar here in OmniGraffle. Before I look elsewhere, I figured I would ask here if anyone else is using this program in a similar manner and if so how is it working for you.

Thanks in advance
AJ Brofman
Chief Fire Marshal
Village of Lake Grove
Suffolk County, NY

There's a lot of feature overlap between OmniGraffle and Visio, though I'm sure each has features that the other doesn't.

I know that some of our customers use the application for space-planning, garden layout, etc, though I don't know of any that specifically use it for the purposes you're describing.

OmniGraffle 5 Pro can open Visio documents, so you may want to start by just opening some of your existing documents in our application - it'll run in trial mode for two weeks - and see how they look.

Additionally, you may want to see if any of the stencils posted to Graffletopia have shapes that you could use. This section of the website seems most directly applicable at first glance:
http://www.graffletopia.com/categories/architecture

Hi there, I've just read your post and am in the same position - have gone from PC to Mac... from Visio to ??? What did you decide on? Is OmniGraffle ok??

Hey

I'm not a high level user of omnigraffle and Viso.
I use both sometimes.
My experience is that omnigraffle is more simple as visio and I can create diagrams quicker.
I use a tool to draw simple technical sketches and at moment I found omnigraffle is for this better as visio.

Jochen

Also, don't forget their OmniGraph Sketcher

I'm very very happy with OG.