The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Why David Allen doesn't "get" GTD Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
@keone: bravo.... (applause)

---------------------------------------

Tracking priorities is a futile task when my intuition and informed decision-making process can help me determine what becomes a higher priority at any given moment.

I "trust" my OF/GTD system. Maybe some folks don't trust OF without a priority system. I don't know if I can trust an algorithm to help me determine what's urgent and what's not.

I already have repeating tasks set up that reminds me when certain thing are due.

I already have my trusted weekly review to help me forecast into the future. I don't have to "walk around the house to check if the windows are clean." The Review mode in OF is sorted by review date so I just have to look only a couple of weeks or a month ahead to see what needs to be done.

Hopefully OmniGroup will add priorities to OF and be done with this wild goose chase. Then we can all rest easy that the endless debate to add priorities will end.

I personally don't think that GTD is "oversimplified" for the real world. Priorities are hard to categorize when they can change easily. Our emotions often play into things and determines our priorities. That's something that a machine can't do for me. I just can't trust an algorithm to "bump up or down" my priorities for me.

Last edited by wilsonng; 2009-04-01 at 08:41 PM..

Thanks, Wilson. I agree, this whole priorities debate has gotten silly. I think there are three priority discussions going on right now on this board, including one thread that's well over 200 posts long! Geez! Enough already!!!

As to you hoping that Omni just put this entire matter to rest by including a priority option in future versions of OF, I disagree. Trying to be all things to all people is the surest path to bloat-ware, and the eventual inefficiency of the app for all of us; all just to accommodate some who refuse to try a different approach to their work.

I just don't understand why people come on this board to complain about OF and its lack of a priority system. Wouldn't they be much better off using LifeBalance or some other such app instead of wasting their highly prioritized time here?

yes. I like this thread...it helps me a lot, as I was from the Franklin covey or putting fires out Task List department...
after my Palm pilot died, I sort of just drifted...with the hand calendar...etc. using iCal..., but the point being made about contexts helps me.
I am hoping to get this book at the library soon, so I can get deeper into the program. I relate to feeling guilty I have not done my task list.
i am self employed and prioritizing is a chaotic infinite nightmare of indecision. Contexts and understanding that I can create my own, will help me to understand how I might be able to then departmentalize my different hats that I wear. i.e.- Music, Film, Photo, Personal

on another note. Can someone tell me please? why an item has a link nature when I click it I open up a new OF window~! but it has no relation to my current project? I tried to see a pattern or go to prefs to turn this off, but I can't seem to find anything. This much be the nature of the beast...
This really annoys me, as I have at sometimes ended up opening 10 pages not even knowing it.....and they are all layers like in photoshop or on the finder level docs opened. all of them linking to nothing...

what the hell is this link stuff for? and how can I turn it off!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singleton View Post
on another note. Can someone tell me please? why an item has a link nature when I click it I open up a new OF window~! but it has no relation to my current project? I tried to see a pattern or go to prefs to turn this off, but I can't seem to find anything. This much be the nature of the beast...
This really annoys me, as I have at sometimes ended up opening 10 pages not even knowing it.....and they are all layers like in photoshop or on the finder level docs opened. all of them linking to nothing...

what the hell is this link stuff for? and how can I turn it off!!!
Double-clicking on an action opens a new window focused on that action's project. I can't find any mention of this in the manual or online documentation, but it has been this way since before 1.0. Is this what you are seeing, or something else?

Singleton, I'm not sure what you're seeing, but based on the description, it sounds like something's gotten out of whack. :-)

It may help for you to include some screenshots of what you are seeing to the Support Ninjas so they can help out.

(You can take a screenshot by pressing command-shift-4 on your keyboard, which will give you a selection cursor. Tap your Space key, click on the window you want to capture, and when you release the mouse the image will be saved to your desktop as 'Picture 1', 'Picture 2', etc.)

You can then drag the images to an email message and send them to us. I'll use the information they contain to try and figure out what's going on here.

I feel like a BETA tester.
This is not fair. I really just want a refund.

I have spent more than enough hours watching videos, trying to figure out what the hell setting I might have clicked...

but again, this looks like a BUG, and it was between the iPhone and the Desktop version....

now, I am stuck in the middle and feel like I am getting my ear cut off...

This is no fun, as it is my calendar, and in the process I am busy...

I have not only lost time now, but I have to send screen shots? because something got out of whack? I just got this program...

It should be working not like a BETA...

The EvERYTHING IS A LINK is not good, and it creates a new window everytime I click something and goes to the DEFAULT PAGE or whatever I was setting up as the MAIN PAGE....

this is something serious and I don't think trashing my preferences will work....aye? what about all these stinking backups.....

I just don't think this is going to work, there are too many things I can't do on the iPhone version anyway....that makes it a headache learning the iPhone environment, versus the desktop...

Step 1. Calm down and be rational.

Step 2. Use Help --> Send Feedback to contact the support ninjas. They're great and will be happy to help. Omni stands behind their products.

Step 3. Go to Preferences, Styles, and click the Reset button. That often seems to fix the problem that you're seeing.

Good luck.

Curt

well, I forgot to post here...I had already sent an email to the ninjas....
I just trashed the prefs and it went away....

not like what you are saying above...the RESET is like whimpy soft reset..it did nothing...

the hard reset was going into the prefs folder and trashing that...

I lost my new icons and Perspectives I had created...

but I wish I could figure out how I got to that state in the first place..
it probably is between a iPhone syncing to the desktop....

also, that linking went away, but above I read someone said it is supposed to link to a project of predefined nature? it just defaults to the MAIN screen.
As if , I was to select PERSONAL it would show PERSONAL, if I went back to the main screen and changed it to something like a PROJECT?
it would link to that....
everything would link to that...that is my point...it isn't supposed to do that...

the image showed every item as a link , just clicking (not double clicking)
just clicking on the item opened a window....
so you can imagine my horror when I thought I was in a twilight zone episode!!!! Look at all these WINDOWS! created by OMNI FOCUS! boy I am sure FOCUSING !!!! this is REALLY GREAT STUFF!

he he he....

I just want to see that guy with the glasses in the video....say something about this stuff too....it is crazy!

I will just keep doing OF and see if it does it again...

I hope not....

but, how do you repeat something you don't know how you got it to do in the first place?

Oh I feel like a real monkey in a cage....with other monkeys outside trying to tell me to touch the electric shock button! this time it won't get you! we promise! go ahead! try it!

any ideas...about how to properly setup a REPEAT task?

I get confused when it says by DUE DATE or by COMPLETION DATE

what the hell does that mean?

on the iCal it is simple. you just put the repeat and it will repeat on the schedule as you request...

in the past, I have set this up and I don't know how, I did it, but It looped.
I check an item.
It comes back undone. SAME DATE, just unchecked..
if I sync it back to the iPhone, it trades checks....

nifty....task check tennis.....yummy!

but not very productive...
drives me crazy...

how can I set up a daily regiment....that I would like to keep as daily...

I think I got it this time....maybe...just set it to Completion but do NOT set a DUE DATE...

that confuses OF....it gets into trying to be COMPLETED and DUE and START all on the same day?

how come this was still made possible on this software?

it should have been thunk out before the release...

makes me feel OMNIflunked...

sorry, but its true..

singleton

I think you missed step 1 above.

Curt

ah hell to the no! you just don't realize who you are talking to!
I am calm!
To be rationale and cubicle? that might be insane...
or sedated....

ever read BRAVE NEW WORLD?
or 1984?

what about the classic movie which I think is George Lucas's best film!

THX1138?

oye vay! "Be calm. Everything is going to be fine. Try to unlock the door from the inside. We only want to help you."

"we have to go back. you won't survive in the outer shell!"

priceless...

calm? rational? he he he he....

Taming the Shrew?

lets try to be Calm...is like the worst thing you could tell someone....

in fact that is what caused Columbine, and this last debacle with that Alabama nut killing all his family....

he was CALM and QUIET....very rational.....oh so rational....

Why so SERIOUS?

that is the truth....

cubicles and fluorescent lights can create an abnormal state of being similar to those locked in cages like prisons....

hey there is an idea....

give the prisoners OMNI FOCUS....see if it helps them THINK....better.

GTD....I keep thinking of FTD and sending my mother flowers...

Why the hell the short names for everything? is this a generation of 1984 morons? are we degenerating into a form of MIND SPEAK or what was it called? shoot I can't remember the word!~ see! they are already after us!

Taking out words in the dictionary....making words into smaller and smaller letters until we really all just should have learned Chinese....
it is much better language or so I have been told.
It is dynamic....and ours is linear....

well, enough bantering....

this is as calm as I get Tonto....

Rational? yes...step by step by step we eventually eat the elephant....
but what if you are a vegan?

singleton

ps- I am not a vegan...